World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After an invite to go fishing with Steve (Mesito) i thought it was about time i took the plunge and go for the smoothounds. And reading the exploits of UWI from the previous week i was very optamistic about my chances of landing one of these fine fish. As a relative newbie i found it dificult to fathom why we arrived at our mark (about 18:40) only to set up and not chuck a bait out until darkness. Anyway i bow to the experience of steve and wait for the light to fade. First chuck and steve now knows he's got his hands full owing to my progressing but still shortish casting.

After reeling in and removing the weed from my line and refreshing bait, steve suggests he casts to get a bit further out and give me a better chance of getting amonst em. After another half an hour nobody is catching anything and my mind is already starting to wander (what i'd do if i caught a monster) and then with my back turned BANG CRASH WALLOP my rod has flown out of the rod rest whilst taking it with it and smashed to the ground, i run to my rod thinking 'oh [email protected]*t' here we go, only to lift my rod and find the line has snapped and not only that, my new Greys GRX-s rod has completely damaged the two larger bottom eyes rendering it unusable:cry:. Was that the one? Steve thought so and after a discussion with Antonio (nice to meet you fella) we come to the conclusion it must have been a hound :wallbash: as the weed was not too disasterous (yet).

Anyway, set up another rod but weed got progressively worse and everyone started to disappear. It wasn't till later that we were able to set up an additional rod each and admit defeat by going for something smaller to save blanking. I did manage a starry pup and a codling both of which i have never caught before and a couple of schoolies but that was that.

A big thanks to steve for his tolerance and his knowledge, nice to meet Antonio and Masterbaiter and even though i didn't catch a big smoothy my experience has made me even more determined to catch one next time, but that maybe next year now.

Cheers,
Ian

·
Registered
124 Posts
Ian the trouble is nowdays these young hounds have got no respect for other peoples property....

But I'm sure your get your own back soon

Codling was interesting, one was caught the previous night around 4lb

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Nice report Ian and I'm glad you got something out the session even if the big hounds didn't show.
Next year I will be sure to organise an SAS away-day trip for smoothhounds :). At least now you'll know what to expect in terms of bite! lol
Steve

1 - 4 of 4 Posts