World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well this was meant to be a plaice trip but I just knew when we typed the numbers into the GPS that calling the mark "Plaice" was the kiss of death for that species.

Nevertheless a very enjoyable day with a few fish and a bit of variety.
As I was crew on my mate's boat I had to let him catch the most :unsure: so his tally was a blonde ray (17lb), a bream, a pollack, a dab, several doggers and an edible crab while mine was a thornie (7lb-est), a blonde (2-3lb est), several doggers and three spider crabs. We also nabbed a lobster in the pot so in all quite a mixture.

Despite no plaice we did ponder the fact that you would rarely fish in 40-45ft of water unless after something very specific and in fact the mark produced quite a variety.

Tried the feathers but no mackerel yet, not eating my lures anyway. Not too many boats out this way - 5 or 6 well spread out in the general area, some anchored some drifting and several did not stay more than a few hours. Didn't hear anything on the radio so don't know what they caught.

Thanks for a great day Phil. Hope we can turn up something interesting when you come over this way.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,538 Posts
I was out there on Saturday. Similar story, no plaice but other odds and ends. Something large did follow my beads as I reeled in though, and turned away on the surface with a splash - bass probably.

·
Registered
896 Posts
we went out on sunday and had two plaice of 2lb ish each (one of which took a whole unprepared frozen peeler on a 4/0 pennell) two 7-8lb hounds a 5-6lb bass, a couple of wrasse and the inevitable dogs dogs and more dogs.
Not a bad first trip of the year, looking forward to the bream and the tope.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts