World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So having dabbled in the sea fishing world off off of piers and walls for a little while, before deciding that we really are going to give this a go, three of us traveled the odd 100 miles from landlocked Bucks to Selsey for a day shore fishing. All of us had invested in some new kit or other, me totally, so were keen to try out what we had got, more for the purpose of learning more about our kit and our beach craft etc than catching....Although we all secretly hoped we would all get on something.

We fished just to the left of the lifeboat station, having parked close to the shore, which was a bonus for me as for the previous two days I had had the worse bout of gout i had ever experienced and whilst I had got my boot on, I was worried about how it was ever gonna come off! However, we set about setting up on a cold, windy, but thankfully dry day and fished the incoming tide from about 9:30am.

I learned a great deal about fishing with a beach caster...especially the casting side of it...Even managing to fall over at one point, such was my frustrated effort of casting (not that the other two "friends" of mine laughed much at that!!). Luckily, Nev18 (a seasoned course fisherman) gave me some pointers on casting and hey presto a vast improvement almost immediately. I have to say at this point that others in our team caused me great merriment during the course of our fishing day, but I am too much of a gentlemen to say how on an open fishing forum like this!

I have fished off piers since I was a kid and love a bit of Macky bashing when on holiday on a two hour boat outing, but this was a different thing altogether.

Well equipped we had hot tea on tap and bacon butties to indulge and the fish were not left out of the feasting either, with, Black lug, Squid, Mussels, Mackerel, prawn and sand eel, spread over three bays and six rods, on a varied selection of rigs. The weed was not to much of a bother, it came for a little while and then went at the cost of a rig or two, but no where near the horror stories we had read about here.

We had spoken to the local fishermen who had said the weekend had showed some Bass from the shore, but that it had not been the best performing area, because of the recent weather and as they rightly said, we have as much chance to catch as any. So we fished the tide up and then down and then a little way back up again, when at 5:30 the windchill had reached our inner core and was finding its way back out again so we decided to call it a day and retire to the pub just up from the shore to have a quick beer and recap on the day.

We caught nothing, not even a bite, taking solace in the fact that more seasoned anglers than us were reporting a very poor day at Pagham. We knew we were doing nothing wrong, the kit was right, so was the bait and maybe we would have had better results if we had fished into and through the night, but as a research and practice trip it was very fruitful and actually a dip of the toe into the water for future trips.

Am very much hoping to be able to report a PB in the very near future!

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
Good report that fella....I go a bit further East towards Pagham to get away from the mooring ropes that abound that stretch of beach.However on the other side of it you are not far away from the pub that does a good meal.Got to be one of my favourite spots Selsey.... even when you do blank. Pete.

·
Registered
60 Posts
It was a fun day, even if I was a one point connected to two separate fishing boats and caught two crabs that went back out as bait.

But alas no fish just some fun comedy moments and a beer amongst good friends

G

·
Great post, Selsey can be a big learning curve for all fishermen,tide times and spots are paramount,get them wrong and it can hurt the wallet and the feelings,but when it comes off it`s one of our better areas,well done for fishing it and a shame you didn`t catch but you are now fishing in the start of the lean time and it`s getting harder daily,more work has to be put in to come away with profit [have a look at Simons [Nightwatchman]excellent post today and you`ll see what i mean] come back another time in the same spot mid season and it will be a different story,best way to get an idea is to keep up reading on here,but it seems you at least got some pleasure from it so a good experience i hope.
PS i normally fall over after the pub not before!!!!!.....Alan

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Alan - I was trying to save time for later so thought I would get the falling over and out of the way whilst fishing - Its not just women who can multi task!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.