World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys and gals, just a quick post before I fly off to sunny Spain for a couple of weeks. Persuaded my good lady that I needed to dispose of a dozen large frozen peelers/softbacks last night and headed off to Selsey for possibly the last time this year. I had been given a 4 hour window by the guvnor, which meant 2 and a half hours fishing after taking the travelling into account. Got there about 9.30 and was surprized at how many were fishing, but still had plenty of room. I fished about 100 metres past the clubhouse. First cast and I had a stonking bite which resulted in a 4.2 kilo hound, second cast a pouting, and third cast a hound of 2.2 kilos. Already well chuffed I then picked up a larger hound but it snapped me of in the surf, must use stronger traces. Next to me a couple of lads picked up 2 or 3 hounds but nothing of reasonable size. 2 casts later another hound of 6.4 kilos is on the beach swiftly followed by one of 4.4 kilos. Although none were world beaters i tallied up and had caught 6 fish in 10 casts, all in 2 and a half hours. I called it a night, elated. Even had 5 crabs left that I passed on to the lad next to me, hope you had some luck if you read this mate. See you all in a couple of weeks, keep posting

·
Registered
387 Posts
Not many sessions can beat 6 fish in 10 casts, well done.

On the rig front, I use 40lb black amnesia for my hound traces, with 60lb for the other half of the pulley. Use varivas big mouths too. Never had a hound snap me off, but I do find 5 or 6 fish max per trace and often less than that if they roll/twist on it. I fish one rod, two rigs alternating so I have time to check my traces before casting it out again...

Hope that helps

1 - 2 of 2 Posts