World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well monday was a great day. In the morning i had targeted bream in the morning with great sucsess round on the point. i court 10 bream 1 being big enough to keep.

Then at 4.00 i stopped fishing for the bream and went home. I had a text from elliot (kingfisher) 'we will be about 30 mins' so i got a move on. I turned up at west beach about the same time as him he walked further down the beach but i stayed closer to where i turned up. well i had a few practice casts which did not go well with me loosing a weight thanks to my crap knots. Then the 2 small peelers went out on a 3/0 pulley rig in search of the smothies. i had already seen 2 court so i was hopeful. on the third cast i think it was my reel just screamed and line was poreing off the spool. here we go. as i got it in close i could see the fin in the water but because it was my first 1 i didnt know what to do so i left it to play in the shallows while elliot was running towards me to give me a hand. what a mistake!!! the hook pulled and my knots let me down again! So i lost my first smothie i wanted to break my rod i was so anoyed.

Well i carried on and darkness fell and still nothing i wanted to give up now but still carried on. i went in my little green tent to get a drink and again off went the reel. not as bad this time and the fight was much easier as well, but still made my arm ache. And i landed it my first smoothie. i must say a big THANKS YOU to the guy who got the hook out and did all the dirty work for me as i didnt have a clue what to do. well i had a pic done and here it is.

Elliots dad estimated it to be around 8 or 9lb which is straight in my PB book. thanks to both elliot and his dad for helping me catch my first one i wouldnt of done it without the help from you 2.

Well after i had court 1 the next to casts made the reel go again but resulted in me loosing a rig thanks to my knots and loosing another hook thanks to my knots.

so i lost 2 weights, 1 whole rig apart from the swivel at the top and 2 hooks. but i didnt care because i had court what i came for.

Thanks for reeding
Tim.

G

·
Well done to you Tim,the first is always good and a PB to boot,wait till you get that ones mother,now she will pull your string.

·
Registered
53 Posts
It was one of those great Selsey nights last night. No weed (yes, seriously), almost empty beach, and a run per cast from in front of the end car park past the campsite club house.

Ended up with 5 landed between 8 and 12lb and missed numerous others, and that was all between 8:30 and 11.

All caught on small hardbacks (always wondered why folks spend £1 per crab when I find a bucket of small hardbacks collected in 10 mins are just as good for the hounds?)

The highlight of the night was the look on a holidaymaker's face when they wandered over to see what was going whilst I was unhooking a 12lb 'shark'! I don't think her kids are going to be allowed in the sea after that!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi tramp were you the guy next to me who kindly took my picture. if it was you then im very greatful for everything you helped me with. thanks!!

Tim

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Well done Tim on your PB! good to see the Hounds are still playing.
When them Hounds are a munching they love them hardbacks!

Good report

Selsey here we come!!!

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
It was one of those great Selsey nights last night. No weed (yes, seriously), almost empty beach, and a run per cast from in front of the end car park past the campsite club house.

Ended up with 5 landed between 8 and 12lb and missed numerous others, and that was all between 8:30 and 11.

All caught on small hardbacks (always wondered why folks spend £1 per crab when I find a bucket of small hardbacks collected in 10 mins are just as good for the hounds?)

The highlight of the night was the look on a holidaymaker's face when they wandered over to see what was going whilst I was unhooking a 12lb 'shark'! I don't think her kids are going to be allowed in the sea after that!
This is one thing that has always amused me no end. it's just a pity that most of the action takes place after they are all tucked up in their caravans or in the club :D

Sad but true :roll1:

As Bally says the hordes will be descending tonight then :marinheir

·
Registered
53 Posts
No, wasn't me - I was the furthest to the right as you look out to see - but I could probably have seen your smile from where I was after you landed that one!

I remember the photo of me after landing my first decent one from Hill Head a few years back - didn't stop grinning for ages!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi Tim,
Was me who took the pictures for you, pleased they came out well. You had a great day yesterday and it was a pleasure to be of assistance. Well done.
I've attached a couple of links which should be helpful on the knot front. I've used the uni knot ( always called it a grinner ) for years on hooks & swivels, very reliable. The palomar is also very good.

Tight lines

http://www.animatedknots.com/indexfishing.php?LogoImage=LogoGrog.jpg&Website=www.animatedknots.com

http://www.btinternet.com/~kevin.l.j.knight/index.htm

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Not for me mate! Think i'll go down the Arm and bash out the Sole again, much more fun!
Are there any big ones there yet? Or just loads of the tiddlers still? i may have another crack tonight if my hands ok :yeah:

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Are there any big ones there yet? Or just loads of the tiddlers still? i may have another crack tonight if my hands ok :yeah:
It won't just be your hand that hurts if you fish again tonight Phil, it'll be your eardrums after you get an ear full from the mrs:blahblah:

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
thanks ripples you were such a great help last night and i am very greatful. might see you down there again one day for my second hound lol.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
It won't just be your hand that hurts if you fish again tonight Phil, it'll be your eardrums after you get an ear full from the mrs:blahblah:

Pretty close to being signed stamped and delivered now, I wonder how busy the Arm will be later?

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Phil and Chris,Just some arm info for you.

I looked across to there fron near the lifeboat station Sunday night and last night and it looked like Brighton Pier with all the headlamps twinkling away.Very busy tonight again i would say,school hols etc.
I fancy a sole session myself tonight.May see you there.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts