World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't like drysuits. I don't like the struggle to get into them, the zips and the tightness of the neck seal. I know they are better than they were but a good one is still expensive. So I went out and bought a pair of Palm Sidewinder Pants and Mistral top. Tried them out yesterday.
I wouldn't normally have gone out as there was a cross onshore force 4 and a short chop. I wasn't taking any risks as I wasn't going far and it wouldn't have taken long to blow home. I've got a Perception Scooter so it was wet and paddling into the waves it was coming over green. Anchored about 300m out and the chop was breaking over the stern. First time I've ever thought about seasickness in a yak. However, the suit worked perfectly. It has a double seal at the waist, latex cuffs and a very comfortable adjustable neck seal that wouldn't keep he water out if you went in head first - hence semi dry suit. As I'm a large top and medium bottom it was a good fit and comfortable
The fish certainly weren't put off by the weather and after the first bite forgot about the chop. Ended up with six sizeable bass to just under 4lbs so the best day this year - and I surfed home!
And for those of you who don't rate small yaks, the Scooter was very stable and there were no anxious moments even when hauling the anchor which was well dug in.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I don't know anything about semi-dry suits, is the idea that if you fell in the neck area stays above the waterline? I'd be worried that it'd fill with water which would then be kept in the top half by the double waist seals? If you got wet at all then surely you'd get cold. What is the benefit of having that rather than any old jacket?

·
Accepts cakes as bribes.
12,213 Posts
The idea of a semi is that you stay dry while on the yak. To be fair how many times did you fall in? None? Thats the point. If you do fall in the pfd will keep your neck high n dry for the most part but water will get in. I have a semi cag and I tested it by taking a dive off the yak. It kept mostly dry as it happens but some got in. I had my wetsuit underneath anyway. Wouldn't rely on it in winter though.

You did the right thing, stayed inshore and stayed safe and caught some fish. Great day. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts