World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what semi-permeable membrane can be used for making bait Tea-Bags (I just made up the name, but I HOPE that you get the picture.

My friend Paddy, who has 17 children, recommended condoms.

Joking aside, any ideas, and if so, where does one acquire it from?

Cheers.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
PVA bags...get 'em from a crap OOPS carp angling supplier.

philtherod

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
There is an open weave tubegauze bandage for fingers, he type used for burns. If you get a roll and feed it onto the kneck of a funnel with about a 1 inch tube you can easily feed in all sorts to make up sausages of whatever length you need. They can be frozen down for use later.

I make up mussel and crab sausages for cod, simply put the mussel and crab in a seel bucket and mash with a pickaxe handle, shells and all. Good for using up all the bits of peeler, legs etc. if you have a big session freezing them down for winter.

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
There is an open weave tubegauze bandage for fingers, he type used for burns. If you get a roll and feed it onto the kneck of a funnel with about a 1 inch tube you can easily feed in all sorts to make up sausages of whatever length you need. They can be frozen down for use later.

I make up mussel and crab sausages for cod, simply put the mussel and crab in a seel bucket and mash with a pickaxe handle, shells and all. Good for using up all the bits of peeler, legs etc. if you have a big session freezing them down for winter.
any idea where you get this stuff i tried getting 00 guage tubegauze,but this wasent the correct one.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
re clingfilm -
works a treat wrap the end off round the line as close to the hook as possible that way it stays on fiddly though cheap n cheerfull solution
must admit i blanked using it with mussel limpet cocktail but it was vissible in rock pool giving off an oil slick and unwrapping over 10 minutes sometimes it never unwrapped but still gave of scent trail ,due i think to the fact that it is open ended
i used 3/0 batholder hooks(2/0 mightve been better but i only had aberdeens in that size and wanted the extra grab of shank barbs in retrospect they might not have been necessary )over loaded with mussel tipped with limpet
i wouldnt use it s a permanent method but it was good enough as a stand by
or alternative to other methods i think

·
Registered
239 Posts
Pva begins to desolve immediatley on contact with water, would be difficult to present any "wet" bait using it, I have used it with fresh water mussel, dipping them in ground pellet, then popping this into a pva bag with more ground pellet to keep the bag dry. Gauze as previously mentioned seems a more reliable solution allowing plenty of leakage, preprepared it is easy to nick a parcel on the hook and bind with bait elastic.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
any idea where you get this stuff i tried getting 00 guage tubegauze,but this wasent the correct one.
This link is what you're looking for, mate. Boots Finger Bandage and Applicator 1.6cm x 4m roll for £3.19. :thumbs:

·
Registered
929 Posts
I get it from my local chemists, tesco nor asda stock it, it comes with an applicator which you bin, I then use one of the thinnest plastic tie wraps to tie off the end, then insert a cut off plastic bottle neck into the gauze as a funnel, pack in whatever you have as bait or just chopped up fish and fine oatmeal, bread crumbs to make a scent trail. tie off the open end of the sausage with another tie wrap and off you go. You can use them frozen as bait or I sometimes hook one onto the grip wires or just hook the lead clip thru the gauze.

·
Registered
21,236 Posts
tried using tights once when using halibut pellets river fishing.with a bit of perseverance i would imagine they would be usable.:g:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts