World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I'm going to visit a nice wee mark soon that I know produces pollock and wrasse and I really fancy having a pop at them on the lures with some light tackle. The trouble is that it's some distance away and the thought of traveling all that way and not taking my beachcaster is proving difficult. My main concern is I get down and discover it's too rough to fish with light gear and my day will be wasted... It appears I'm suffering separation anxiety from my beachcaster XD... So my question is can you fish with lures and light gear in difficult conditions and how did you manage to leave your "proper" rod at home for the first time!!

·
Registered
372 Posts
Unless its seriously snotty, you'll be just fine. Getting rid of the telegraph poles was the best thing I ever did for my fishing. I catch way more fish now and fish all but the worst conditions. Going 100% lure will teach you to really think on your feet and really make the most of each mark you fish.

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
just imagine your going for a long walk... just take your lightweight lure stuff with you. If it doesn't pan out, its fine. You can enjoy your walk. but when you hit into the fish and after a few hours of fishing you decide to pack up be glad you don't have to haul the weight of your beach gear with you.... We all know how much it weighs... thats the best way. then when your out and catching fish you know at anytime unlike with bait fishing you can put on your rucksack and rod and walk 5 miles to another mark. I still bait fish, more than luring in fact but it was the best thing for me too when i left everything at home too :D

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
i have marks near me where you won't get a lead back all day. probably lose half a dozen rigs too. the only way you can fish marks like this is with light tackle. once you get over the fear of letting your lures hit the bottom you'll find you can fish in horrible places with only the occasional lost lure. you'll also probably catch more fish and have more fun doing it and it'll work out cheaper than slinging all that bait, rig components and lead into the sea.

and there's only one way to learn - leave the big rod at home.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
When the weather is extreme and the sea too stirred up and murky to do much with lures, I sometimes use a weedless softie rig (Texas style) with a sandeel instead of a slug-go. I find that very rough seas often mean the bass will be just yards from the shore, so no need to sling a lead weight for miles.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts