World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks,

I know there are some people here with awesome knowledge and I need your help guys.
Planning to do a major service to the outboard which has not been in use for one and a half year. Last service has been done in 2016.
As I'm crazy about cars and motorcycles and I have quite ample knowledge and skills as a mechanic so this is good starting point BUT a boat engine is not a motorcycle engine so my knowledge is really small at this point.

This is my question. What am I suppose to do?
I think the best idea would be to buy outboard service kit
Change engine and gearbox oils
Check (change if bad) spark plugs
Clean fuel injectors and check the whole fuel system
What about anodes and the rest of bits I have no idea about?
What else needs to be replaced/checked?

Do you know any online shops with outboard parts? Full service kit would be ideal.

I'd really appreciate your help.
Thanks! Adam

·
Registered
837 Posts
Most modern outboards have an ancestor that was a motorbike or Car engine. My Honda is the same one as in the Accord! If you are a competent mechanic, you should be able to do a basic service. You can buy the service kits online and no doubt someone in America will have done a tutorial in useful tube!

The only thing with modern outboards (and with modern bikes and cars imho) is the flipping things now need plugging into a computer the moment anything goes wrong. Just spent 250 quid on my van...just because a sensor had fried itself and dumped me at 20mph “safe mode”... :mad2:

·
Banned
3,789 Posts
Wait for Suzook to come along. He seems to know a fair bit about mechanics for bikes and OB’s !!

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Hey folks,

I know there are some people here with awesome knowledge and I need your help guys.
Planning to do a major service to the outboard which has not been in use for one and a half year. Last service has been done in 2016.
As I'm crazy about cars and motorcycles and I have quite ample knowledge and skills as a mechanic so this is good starting point BUT a boat engine is not a motorcycle engine so my knowledge is really small at this point.

This is my question. What am I suppose to do?
I think the best idea would be to buy outboard service kit
Change engine and gearbox oils
Check (change if bad) spark plugs
Clean fuel injectors and check the whole fuel system
What about anodes and the rest of bits I have no idea about?
What else needs to be replaced/checked?

Do you know any online shops with outboard parts? Full service kit would be ideal.

I'd really appreciate your help.
Thanks! Adam
Add to your list, impellor change, check base plate for wear etc, air test gearbox seals, clean and grease all pivot points and grease nipples. Change the spark plugs anyway, you can always keep a good used set on board just in case... Check anodes, replace oil filter, clean and check electrical connections, replace fuel filter(s), check condition of timing belt and replace as a complete kit if it needs changing. Probably worth a look at thermostat and test/clean/replace. If it looks well crusty in there run it up in a tub with a cleaning agent in the water, I've heard of people using a vinegar solution, or a product sucj as saltaway.... Oh and check water intakes are clear before running...

Find a manual for it if possible, that will cover any hidden bits such as internal anodes as well as give you specs/quantities and the like. If the engine is unknown to you, would be worth getting a plug-in to see if it has had any faults etc. I would also change the oil again after a few hours use so it flushes any left over crud etc out and use the best oil you can. Some injector cleaner in the first tank full would go amiss either....

Finally give it all a clean down and a coating of whatever protective product of your choice

Sorry I can't give you any engine specific details, not familiar with these, but all very generic engine aside

Wait for Suzook to come along. He seems to know a fair bit about mechanics for bikes and OB’s !!
As requested sir! ;);)

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Suzook! It gives me great starting point and will start doing "to do" list.
Do you think is it worth to buy some service kits? What online shops would you recommend here in the UK?

·
Banned
3,789 Posts
Add to your list, impellor change, check base plate for wear etc, air test gearbox seals, clean and grease all pivot points and grease nipples. Change the spark plugs anyway, you can always keep a good used set on board just in case... Check anodes, replace oil filter, clean and check electrical connections, replace fuel filter(s), check condition of timing belt and replace as a complete kit if it needs changing. Probably worth a look at thermostat and test/clean/replace. If it looks well crusty in there run it up in a tub with a cleaning agent in the water, I've heard of people using a vinegar solution, or a product sucj as saltaway.... Oh and check water intakes are clear before running...

Find a manual for it if possible, that will cover any hidden bits such as internal anodes as well as give you specs/quantities and the like. If the engine is unknown to you, would be worth getting a plug-in to see if it has had any faults etc. I would also change the oil again after a few hours use so it flushes any left over crud etc out and use the best oil you can. Some injector cleaner in the first tank full would go amiss either....

Finally give it all a clean down and a coating of whatever protective product of your choice

Sorry I can't give you any engine specific details, not familiar with these, but all very generic engine aside

As requested sir! ;);)
Good man, knowledgeable as ever !!

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
You could try Seamark Nunn Limited, imagine it would be the same kit as DF70 as its a rebadged Suzuki but check that first, Isuzu used to supply Vauxhall engines but many parts were not interchangeable

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Find an online manual. Then do as instructed. Pacer marine have always been good for me. I've assume they do Suzuki too. Have you collected the boat yet?

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
The problem you will face is you will get stuck into the engine and being a motor mechanic think the gearbox will be cool for 100k. It's kind of the other way round. Certainly is for I/O's, blasted things.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I'm selling a service kit for a DF 60-70 along with 5ltrs of oil.. would prefer not to post mind. The work itself is straightforward enough particularly if you can get a service manual to guide you.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Find an online manual. Then do as instructed. Pacer marine have always been good for me. I've assume they do Suzuki too. Have you collected the boat yet?
Yes, I've collected the boat and am so excited... BUT during collection day the boat didn't start AT ALL :) haha, have no idea what is going on. All the electric stuff was fine, GPS, radio, fish finder, lights but nothing happened when turned the ignition on - no life. No power to the engine - tilt didn't work at all, no start, nothing... Magic... Maybe I'am stupid and did something wrong?
Maybe it is some switch, fuse, connection... The boat has been kept in storage since 2016 so maybe some oxidation... And electrical connections looks a little bit messy there...

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No, it is not a silly question because I'm absolutely new to the "BIG" boating. I used to own small 14 ft boat with tiller engine and now my dream came through... And now silly question... What is the kill switch on the remotes? You mean this small clip with red wire?

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Seem to recall someone on here mentioning a fuse tucked out of the way on suzukis. Sounds like manual time.... ;)

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sounds like a fuse if the tilt didn’t work.

You did hear the engine running previously presumably?
Yep, but didn't start it on collection day, so strange :Oo:

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
Is the throttle lever in neutral?

·
Registered
11,548 Posts
Agree it sounds like a fuse - if I recall this boat has been sitting a while - perhaps a corroded fuse that about managed to cope on viewing day but too much for it on collection day. I won't be the kill switch because that only affects starting - with the kill switch open it will still tilt, instruments power up etc.

To your list of things to check - I would pull apart and clean all electrical contacts, and also remove the isolator switch so you can check the switch itself and the contact points for corrosion. I would also add a new battery of at least 105AH (and carry a spare) - you can never have too good a battery at sea.

I would also renew the fuel line between the tank and the engine.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks a lot for the repply! I will do everything you say. I can see 3 fuses in the cabin. Saying fuses do you mean those ones in the engine if they are any?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts