World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After how many hours of use do people service their engine ? I do it roughly once a year - is every 200 to 300 hours of use about right or is that too often ?

I should also add to this - is it possible to service an outboard (I have a Mariner 75), with the boat still in the water ?

G

·
Most manufacturers will state (whether you listen to them is your choice) that the very first service is between 10 and 50 hours (inboard / outboard / manufacturer dependent).

Then they will vary from every 50 hours or 6 months
to
Every 100 hours or annually
to
Ludicrous leadtimes which cannot be good for an engine that hangs around saltwater for the likes of the Etec outboards.

People don't like servicing outboards in the water for the simple fact that you'll pour oil everywhere and you need to drain the oil.
Tom

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Bad idea to service it in the water - if you drop anything its a gonner!! Also it would be very awkward to replace gear box oil etc.

I have a Mariner 75 and service it as per the service schedule in the manual - its done on an annual basis. Things like water pump impeller are inspected after 400 hours. Its all in your manual.

Ryan

1 - 4 of 4 Posts