World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Decided to service my reels tomorrow ready for summer, I've actually never had them completely to pieces (only took them apart to oil bearings and stuff) so I think they are due a service. What sort of grease should I be using on the reel? And what do I do when it comes to the drag washers? Obviously don't want them oiled I guess??!

Any other tips would be great, if it makes and difference the reels are two 525's and a slosh. Cheers :fish:

·
Registered
221 Posts
Yep, keep the drag washers dry. I use a waterproof multi-purpose grease on the gears etc.

The Slosh and the Penn525 are both very easy reels to service - not many parts and most of the parts are quite large. Keep pets and children away from your working area!

·
Registered
11,131 Posts
as you take anything apart lay them on a cloth or kitchen roll in the order they came off. its far easier to know which bit goes on next that way.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Take the drag washers apart and give them a good clean with a cloth, or if they are really lagged then maybe soak them in petrol first. Sticking washers is the main cause of drag failure - you can tell when they need cleaning as you have to crank the drag up hard to get the required tension, and can no longer achieve full 'lock up'.

·
Registered
11,131 Posts
Take the drag washers apart and give them a good clean with a cloth, or if they are really lagged then maybe soak them in petrol first. Sticking washers is the main cause of drag failure - you can tell when they need cleaning as you have to crank the drag up hard to get the required tension, and can no longer achieve full 'lock up'.
i,m a bit over enthusiastic when oiling my reels so occasionally surplus oil finds its way between the washers. about twice a year i remove them and using tissues rub hard on them while flat to soak up any oil residue.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
can you use silicon spray to coat the outside of the reel..... just found a can in the hut .

mark

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
Yeah Lewis, give the drag washers a quick dunk ( as in 5 seconds ) in lighter fuel & leave to dry.
As for the rest of the reel, just watch how it came apart & you'll be fine. I use a dab of general purpose grease on the gear that runs on the spool shaft & it seems ok at that ( 525 mag). Too much & it'll get flung around within the casing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts