World Sea Fishing Forums banner

Setup for flat beach

1K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  greenwells glory 
#1 ·
Hi everyone.

Recently I've been doing a lot of lrf but I'm moving to St. Annes so will need to get some heavier gear. I've read so much that I have information overload and am more confused now than when I started! So this is another "what rod" thread.

The beaches on the Fylde coast are flat and sandy, and the tide goes out miles so I'll needed to be able to hit some distance. The tides are pretty strong too so I think I'll need to throw around 6oz. Having done so much light fishing I want to actually feel the fish on the line (I remember fishing for mackerel growing up and realing in without knowing if there was anything on the line) but want to be realistic about the weight I need and not regret going too light later. I don't feel confident enough in assessing the quality of a second hand rod either so want to go new.

I've looked at the Shakespeare Agility 12'9 which seems about right. Would that fit what I'm looking for, or any better suggestions?

As for a reel, do you still need to worry about balance on beachcasters or will anything work? I was thinking of getting a multiplier. I've never fished with one but people who use them rave about them. Any recommendations?

I have about £250 to spend on the complete setup (Inc line, rod stand, hooks etc) but would rather spend less. Any advice you can give me would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Ger

See less See more
#2 ·
Go North to,Blackpool, or south to Liverpool. Tides at St Annes go out for ever, fish there and you need to be Usain Bolt to keep ahead of it on the flood.

:D:D

To be honest I havent a clue about Lytham, maybe people do fish there, but I have never heard of anybody catching anything except flatties in the estuary .

As below..

http://www.worldseafishing.com/forums/threads/lytham-st-annes.22711/

Dave

#3 ·
Haha Yeh that sounds about right! It looks like the best fishing is going to be Blackpool, Rossol and Fleetwood but they all seem similar - flat and sandy!

#4 ·
Agreed for codling. St Annes can fish well at LW on a small tide for bass - if they turn up! Fairhaven and Lytham are flounder city at times but again bass can be caught as can sole. There are times at Rossall in a winter storm that you'll want 175/200g grip leads and rod rings big enough to deal with the incessant weed/trash that blocks your shock leader knot. Some conti rods fail in this respect. See you out there

#5 ·
My beaches are all flat and have long distances between high and low. You'll soon learn when the weed is bad and keeping a diary is great for knowing prevailing winds and when to not waste a trip down.

I have found as little as 2oz will hold with 15lb mainline braid and as much as 6oz wont depending on the tide. Again keeping a diary avoids wasting trips if wind and tides are similar.

I find distance is necessary for whiting, coalies, etc but not good for flatties.
Darkness helps on shallow beaches.
Fishing after a good blow when its still coloured good.

I use a Shakespeare 2-4oz rod for close in and a Penn rampage15ft for distance both with fixed spools and braid.

My mate uses an old Ron Thompson 12ft 4-8oz rod and still catches his share.

Plenty of walks at low tide will show areas of depressions or slightly more depth that can make all the difference.

#6 ·
Thanks for the advice. So, not a 15 foother then.

I've noticed the agility doesn't come with coasters. Do I need them, does it depend on the reel or should I look for a rod that has them included?

#12 ·
I have an Agility 12'9 and use with an akios multiplier- works pretty well for me + bonus of 3 piece which makes it easy to carry, also 15ft version with 8000 mitchell reel- still getting used to that combo as up till now always used a multiplier- but gets the distance. The 12'9 + akios 656 either level wind or open should set you back about £160 if you shop around

#7 ·
I'm also considering the Leeda Icon M sport match. It doesn't need separate coasters so might be simpler. Is it worth the extra or would it be too light weight compared to the Agility?

#8 ·
The Icon Match is a belting rod for 150g and bait. Very reminiscent of the Zzippy F Zero. Perhaps just a bit short of power for anything over that for me but a great rod for 90%+ of the time here on the Fylde. Are you looking to use multis or FS? Plenty of local anglers use the conti rods with FS and love them. I just prefer multis myself. Several ways to skin a cat etc etc

#9 ·
You wont be wanting coasters if you use a fixed spool. They are handy for multi if you want to have the reel higher or lower on the handle.

#10 · (Edited)
The IMSM is definitely a multi rod. I think it comes with good coasters if the one I've had a play with is anything to go by? Get in touch with Greenwells on here. He's local and has Agilities and IMSs amongst many others. He could give you an experienced opinion on both. I wouldn't get too wrapped up in the tackle side of it. Better to have bait and the time to use it imo! ATB

#11 ·
Funnily enough I have just sold my agilities they are good for the money but the Icon Sport match is a much better rod generally and will more than cover all fishable conditions on this coast it's easily capable of over 150 yards in the right hands which I am quite happy to demonstrate.
As it happens I am selling my pair as I simply have too many rods which Liphook has gently pointed out

#14 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hi everyone.

Recently I've been doing a lot of lrf but I'm moving to St. Annes so will need to get some heavier gear. I've read so much that I have information overload and am more confused now than when I started! So this is another "what rod" thread.

The beaches on the Fylde coast are flat and sandy, and the tide goes out miles so I'll needed to be able to hit some distance. The tides are pretty strong too so I think I'll need to throw around 6oz. Having done so much light fishing I want to actually feel the fish on the line (I remember fishing for mackerel growing up and realing in without knowing if there was anything on the line) but want to be realistic about the weight I need and not regret going too light later. I don't feel confident enough in assessing the quality of a second hand rod either so want to go new.

I've looked at the Shakespeare Agility 12'9 which seems about right. Would that fit what I'm looking for, or any better suggestions?

As for a reel, do you still need to worry about balance on beachcasters or will anything work? I was thinking of getting a multiplier. I've never fished with one but people who use them rave about them. Any recommendations?

I have about £250 to spend on the complete setup (Inc line, rod stand, hooks etc) but would rather spend less. Any advice you can give me would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Ger
Have you thought about using a good fixed spool. Even a lot of the top lads have gone over to them.

#15 ·
Thanks for your help everyone. I've opted for the Leeda icon with a Penn 525. I had considered a fixed spool but I'm always up for learning something new so decided to go multilier. Now I need to get out fishing!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.