World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
&

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shad storm lures. Looked them up on ebay to find out what they were in preparation for a possible wrecking trip tomorrow. No result, I looked up shad lures on Mike Thrussell's pages and there are lots of different types. Can anyone suggest a good one for wreck fishing from the West Bay area? I realise it's short notice but here's hoping! Cheers, Tony.

·
Registered
303 Posts
hi mate, have you bought some or do you want to buy some ?? wrecking at this time of year will probably be for the early pollack, firetail jelly worms work very well for pollack, of the storm lures I would go for the sandeel type as they will take both pollack and bass for cod go for a twintail lure, It always pays to have a selection of lures in your box as one may work one day but not the next it's trial and error for the first couple of drifts to find out what their taking and whats down there. for more information on wrecking go to http://www.members.lycos.co.uk/carnagecrew hope this all helps a bit and good luck.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Hi Tony,

Over the last couple of years, generally speaking, we have found that Cod and Pollock have gone for orange coloured lures and the Bass went for white or blue.

As Gus said take a good selection of various coloured lures or Storm Shads with you and give them a try. If you can get everyone on the boat to try a different colour, you will find out what the fish are going for.

Are you going out with Jeff? Please let us know how you got on. I am out next week on Meridian Express. Will keep you posted.

Cheers

Drew

&

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the reply Drew. Yes I WAS due to go out with Jeff but the weather front they were expecting to go through in the wee small hours still hadn't cleared the area so wrecking is off today. Going down there again tomorrow with fingers crossed. Travelling from Melksham, I'll try the A303 tomorrow, came back that way today and it cut off about 25% time!

I bought a packet of Bilious orange 4" Holographic Shad. Just going to search the web for information on how to assemble a 'rig'. All new to me! (but fun). Thanks once again. Tony.

&

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The website you directed me to looks just up my street, just what I'm looking for, especially the "Wrecking and Drifting for beginners" Cheers, Tony.

P.S. Thanks to all others trying to help a beginner. Thanks all.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Hi Tony, glad to have been of help, it was a bit cheeky as it.s my site! never mind mate as long as it helps. tight lines

·
Registered
35 Posts
hi tony
i fish quite a bit from lyme regis,(just up the road from west bay) i mainly use the 5inch pearl for pollock in that area having spent a fortune trying all the storm range these came up trumps for me and the gang i usually fish with,
(i have also had sucess with the blue gill for bass)but thats later in the year june-sept

hope this helps

im off to torquay wreck fishing tomorrow will let you know what works there

&

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Gusangus! I'm attempting to duplicate the "Flying Collar Rig" and it has just occured to me that if the length of line from the boom to the shad is 10-14 feet, The (hopefully) big fish will still be on the end of the line when the boom hits the top ring on the rod. Being only 5 foot 7" How do I get it over the side of the boat?

I had a similar problem when lobbing stuff from the Cobb, The little bit of knotted line tide round the main line to stop the float at the correct depth kept catching on the top ring on the way out, thankfully there wasn't anyone there to hear my language! Any ideas? Cheers, Tony. (P.S. Thanks Fudd, I'll let you know how much kit I loose)!

·
Registered
303 Posts
Hi Mate if your fishing from a charter boat the skipper will net it, pollack cod and ling will be just about dead on arrival at the surface because their swim bladders will have gone and by grabbing your trace you will be able to pull them in reach of the net, bass will be a bit more lively again by grabbing your trace or moving back into the boat you will bring the fish close enough to net a good skipper will tell you what he wants you to do in order for him to net the fish, don't worry too much about that end of it concentrate on catching them, when you've landed your first one you'll see how it goes and just want to get a bigger one

&

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
lewisteh said:
Have a look at these tempest lures - they look the same as the storm shads to me

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=25564&item=7131941111&rd=1

Good luck
I've previously bought some tempest shad lures (but at that time didn't really know how to use them) This morning in preparation for the (scuppered) wrecking trip, I bought a pack of Storm Shad lures. I must say, if it matters? the eye of the Tempest's are far more realistic than the Storm's eyes. Who knows what is in the minds of the prey? Cheers, Tony.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Hi Tony, There is a theory that when pedatory fish (such as bass & pollack) attack they use the eye of their prey to line up on, taking them just behind the eye, that is why when you mount your hook in any soft lure with an eye, the hook point should be not more than an inch away from it, The lures that I use mainly fire tails and lumo type lures glow and it does'nt seem to matter where the hook is (to a degree) and these have not got eyes on them. When you mount a live sand eel the way the professional bass lads do, the hook is about an inch away from the eye and just nicked into the soft underbelly of the eel, and as the lures you describe are trying to emulate a live eel the hook should be no more than the inch down the body from the eye. Some manufacturers at the moment seem to be obsessed with making the eyes as realistic as possible, my tip to you is keep a good selection of lures in colour, size and type in your box as you never know what they will take on the day.

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
If you want a good way to stop a sliding float use a bit of thin elastic band tied around your main line, it will slide to adjust depth and does not snag on rings.

·
Registered
35 Posts
HI

THE WAY TO LAND YOU FISH IS SIMPLE,
YOU REEL IN TIL THE POLLOCK SURFACES THEN STOP REELING WHEN YOUR STOP BEAD ABOVE THE BOOM GETS TO YOUR TIP RING(if you value your rod rings)THEN WALK UPTIDE OF THE FISH WHERE A DECENT SKIPPER WILL BE AT THE BACK OF THE BOAT READY WITH A NET ,ANOTHER WAY IF THE BOAT IS CROWDED IS TO REEL IN AS ABOVE KEEP YOUR ROD HELD HIGH THATS 8FT AND THE SKIPPER WILL GRAB THE TRACE AND PULL THE FISH TOWARDS HIM/THE NET,
JUST A LITTLE TIP IF THE BOAT IS CROWDED TRY TO KEEP THE LEAD IN YOUR HAND WHILE THE SKIPPER IS NETTING YOUR FISH, NOT ONLY WILL YOU SAVE SOMEONE A HEADACHE THE SKIPPER WILL APPRECIATE THE LEAD NOT BANGING AROUND THE BOAT

HOPE THIS HELPS,TAKES A BIT OF GETTING USED TO BUT A LONG TRACE IS THE ONLY WAY TO GET RESULTS,
TRY VARYING THE LENGTH OF TRACE SLIGHTLY AT DIFFERENT STATES OF THE TIDE YOU MAYBE SURPRISED AT WHAT A COUPLE OF INCHES MORE/LESS WILL PRODUCE

·
Registered
35 Posts
just a quick gloat mature s ,

had exelent trip on sunday out of torquay with kevin (dallora ll) we had around 40 pollock between 6 anglers all decent size and condition best went 19lb 8oz a personal best for my mate andy,all i could manage was 17lb 6oz but must'nt grumble eh,all fell to pearl storm shads 6'' on 10-12 foot traces.

we were so chuffed at the skippers effort and advice we have now booked 7 trips for the year ,if ever any of you are looking for a cherter trip you could do a lot worse than kevin (and he cooks you dinner)

will post more reports as and when

www.deepsea.co.uk/dallora

&

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks to all, why isn't such common sense available in paperback!

&

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
gusangus said:
hi mate, have you bought some or do you want to buy some ?? wrecking at this time of year will probably be for the early pollack, firetail jelly worms work very well for pollack, of the storm lures I would go for the sandeel type as they will take both pollack and bass for cod go for a twintail lure, It always pays to have a selection of lures in your box as one may work one day .
Hi Everyone,

Best Pollack i've heard of in Weymouth area was a 19.5lb Pollack on the new Storm Sandeel lures (also great for Bass) caught on 12lb gear and 20 mins to surface by Caroline (the skippers wife)

Went out a few weeks ago and on neap tides (1.5 knot drift) the jellys were the definite choice for the day 14-20ft traces, the lovely sounding deep purple "Tequila Sunrise" Berkerly Powerworms were favourite, nice big flapping tails taking upto 14lb fish.

Shads only seem to attract the Pout Whiting on neap tides and i find them best on big tides when you can really get the tail hammering through the water.

Best advice is never lift or strike, just keep winding Pollack will sometimes spit the bait out but chase it up through the water for another go.

All fish boarded were stuffed full of sprats and all within 10 turns of the wreck,
9.5 lb my best of the day, first time since Xmas so just happy to be there. Fished with a friend so we were able to vary baits, wind rates and trace lengths between us, good idea to try if you fish with a buddy.

As the skippers always tell us, they can take us to the wreck but we have to catch the fish........they load the gun, but you have to fire.........(funny buggers these skippers)

Happy Days Lofty

1 - 18 of 18 Posts