World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi i am new to fishing having only been on a few boat fishing trips...I only have limited knoledge although would like to learn it all at once but this seems impossible. Spent the summer on portland race fishing the bass having got this semi cracked with a 11 LB (fluke) I am going on a wrecking trip for pollack mid jan does anyone have any tips on how to fish them and what rig or atificial i should use ?

Also could anyone tell me ....what difference a lead head makes when using shads from a boat i know storm shads have built in leadheads but have seen some without and lead heads u can add on ? What difference do they make as u use a lead on the bottom of the trace anyway ? also what difference do they make whwn used with jellyworms ?

lots of questions i know but any asnwers would be great

·
Registered
297 Posts
When fishing for pollock with a jelly worm or ell reel in very slow or speed it up if you had no bites when you feel something hit your lure DONT strike just keep winding in and they will hook there self. You can use a flowing trace with your lures or use a leadhead so you can cast away from the boat . On the right you will see rigs and knots if you go into this then have a look at the flying collar rig.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Hi Mate, lead heads should be used with a short boom on a trace of 3-5 ft in a flying collar set up. they are used to fish close to the wreck for cod and ling the method is to drop down and wind in four to eight turns and slowly jig the rig up and down try to follow the contour of the wreck as soon as your rig touches the wreck wind in a few more turns difficult I know. but if you stand so that you can see the fishfinder on the boat you will soon see how the wreck stands in the water and be able to adjust your depth up and down to suit. Your better off starting with a jelly worm or shad on a long boom and 10 to 14 ft trace just drop down when the skipper tells you to as soon as you hit the bottom engage clutch and wind in four turns very quickly and then start to wind in slowly up to 30 turns and then repeat the exercise when the tide is running hard the fish will hide behind the wreck and when it eases back the fish will spread all over it so make sure you know what times the tides are in the area your fishing. good luck.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the advice will give it a go how do the storm shads fit into the above as they are heavier than a non weighted shad but lighter than a lot of leadheads.
how are they best fished ?

G

·
Hi Foz,

I find that Leadheads over wrecks are very effective as the tides you are drifting increases. As the tide increases it has the effect of lifting your flying collar rig further off the wreck quickly and you notice that the mainline is laid out at too acute an angle, not straight down.

By using Leadheads you will keep much closer to the wreck were the fish will congregate as the tide picks up, by changing the trace length to 5ft and adding leadheads you'll keep better contact close to the wreck.

I've seen many people make the mistake of increasing their lead weight (which you may well need to do) but forget that the artifical will need weight to enable it to be dropped and held with good presentation over the wreck.

As the guys have said, hit the bottom and get out quickly three or four quick turns, just as with Portland Race which grabs and snaps you in the blink of an eye. Then the rate of retrieval is governed by the rate of drift, The Race is normally 3-4 knots so a slower wind to 20 turns is needed as the drift is quicker.

On the wrecks however the smaller neap tides usually fished means a more constant wind of upto 40 turns. i always try and keep an eye on the sounder and also the rate of drift, the skippers are very helpful and keep us informed of whats happening below us.

In the Race i had great success with the new Storm Sandeel lures (their illuminous) and with a "Booby Bead" 9" up from the hook they were consistantly outfishing shads.

I'll certainly be trying these for Pollack along with the 5-6" mackerall coloured shads that will hopefully tempt the odd cod as well as Pollack.

I always carry a few redgills which will catch on quite a constant wind and jellyworms on a slower retrieval, but they seem to work better in shallower waters (100ft)

As with all artificals they are imitations of the real thing, i have'nt tried live sandeels but have heard that if you can get them close to the wreck, hold on!

The length of traces (between 10 and 20ft), really depends on how many are on the boat and although longer traces tend to catch more fish i rarely go above 10ft (of 25lb mono) with a swivel attached half way down (to stop twisting) and give a more natural presentation. I use longer 7'6" and 8'4" rods that also helps me keep further out of the way of other anglers.

I also use rattle or "booby" beads because with depth i feel that fish are searching for food with a combination of sight and sound (vibration).

I always use braid, i find it gives you better feel for the sea bed and wreck and also keeps the mainline more vertical with less lead weight. This is particulary useful when bassing in the Race, the tides are big and Bass are very clever, and with great lumps of lead whizzing past their noses it soon puts them off.

On the wrecks i use about 20-30ft of shockleader to absorb the Pollacks dives. These fish really test kit and rigs, after each fish i always check the knots over quickly because as with the Bass they find weaknesses in your set up very quickly.

I use 10" French booms twisted onto the shockleader and at the end of the leader tie on a swivel. Then i use 18" of 15lb mono as a rotton bottom link tied to the weight (so that if i am snagged hopefully i've only lost the weight saves a lot of money in lost lures).

When ever i'm fishing i always keep a quite eye on everyone else, if the majority of people are fishing shads i'll try something different and then see whats catching best, by changing tactics every 2 or 3 drifts (either bait colour or type, or wind rates) sometimes you'll hit gold and constantly catch.

As with all fishing the fun and frustration of it all is that one method one day is hopeless the next.

Bass and Pollack are my favourite fish to catch, you are always on the go, and need to stay on top of your game, it quickly teaches how to use your clutch settings and what your Lever Drag was really designed for. They say if you can catch Bass regularly you have the skills to catch anything!

For some real fun with the Pollack i fish Ragworm on a flying collar rig with 12-16lb class gear, wound slowly away from the Wreck.

When the Pollack hit keep winding at the same rate, hold your breathe and wait for the first dive, unbelievable!!!

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Hi Lads,

Over the past few years, I have found that blue or white Storm Shads are best for Bass whilst red or orange have been the most productive for Pollock.

Cheers

Drew

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
with relation to the shads i know the colours are important but what affect do the size of the shads have and what size would u recomend for pollack wrecking ?

·
Registered
303 Posts
hi mate
I've caught on 4" right up to 7 " just remember to wind a bit faster with shads to get the tail thumping and cause the vibrations that attract the fish, Hooks should be 4/0 for the smaller ones and increase the hook size for larger shads.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How good are these fishtek glow in the dark eels ?
what is the best way to use them ?

·
Registered
303 Posts
hi mate I use them over the wrecks the same as ordinary eels In deep and murky water they do give you the edge I've had pollack, cod, ling, bass on them and nearly always outfished the others the other plus side is they don't fall apart like berkley power bait and because they are softer you get more action The trick is to use two at a time one in the light charging and one fishing then switch them at the end of the drift. Regards Gus

1 - 12 of 12 Posts