World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Depends on the shaft material but a rule of thumb is 1/14th of the prop diameter, ie a 14 inch prop would be fine on a 1 inch shaft. Monel or 603 stainless is the strongest available normally reserved for very high speed boats.

·
Registered
584 Posts
does anyone know the recommended shaft diameter for a boat with 300hp
as on mine i have an inch & 3/4 shaft with 300hp i have been told that this is on the limit....

thanks Paul
As ChrisP says material is important, but 3/4" on 300 horses!!!! When I was looking at upgrading a couple of years ago 1.5" was the shaft diameter we were looking at for 250hp and 20" prop. It was one of the high strength types as well. I would recommend a phone call to 'Lancing Marine'?

ET's OPO

·
Registered
413 Posts
ET-OPO,
Don't want to be funny but Offshore has said 1" and 3/4 dia shaft.
As long as it's made from the right material? I think it should be fine.:g:

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
1.75 inch shaft will be fine, you could swing up to about 24 inch on that. Remember it is not the horsepower input into the shaft but how much resistance there is to it at the other end.

·
Registered
584 Posts
ET-OPO,
Don't want to be funny but Offshore has said 1" and 3/4 dia shaft.
As long as it's made from the right material? I think it should be fine.:g:
:oops:
Sorry my mistake, I did not read it right, did not see the 'one' read it as 3/4". One and 3/4 (1.75") is fine I would think. In the deliberation we were having a while back, a standard SS shaft at 19"x18" would probably have been OK, but the safety factor was very high I seem to remember?

ET's OPO

1 - 9 of 9 Posts