World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having gone back home at the weakend ,couldn'thelp but notice the new continental style fishing rods , the k2 being one . These rods are up to 18 ft . My brother and dad both have two . With an over head chuck these rods fly and distances of over 150-180 yards now problem even for the old man. my brother used to cast pendulem and has his 200 yard badge, and now he can get as far with the k2 .Does anyone use one down here , over rough ground ? can they handle it? over clean ground there's no probs.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
i havent heard of them dai. what sort of money we talkin about. i dont no if i would like somthin that big, hard 2 imagine 18ft, thats a biggy..

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hi m8 , these rods retail at between £250-£300,these rods are balanced ,and have a good action and the height to get over most surf and no backlash on the cast .But still don't know about the rough stuff ,not willing to pay that sort of money to find out . tight wod ? tight misses hee hee hee

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This rod takes up to 6oz but usualy best with 5oz .Still puts the weight out there in rough weather conditions, when others struggle . Don't be but off by its lenght , as it's light . I think it's made from carbon with a teflon weave in it. the cast feels a bit weard, but when you see the weight fly out you can soon get used to it. My brother caught a 7LB smouthound on his and said it was fun and the rod preformed well .will try to find out more P.S this is a three peace rod .yes I know what your thinking but trust me you won't be disapointed ,but would still like to now if it could cope with rough ground ? hope this helps .

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
im not fussed on 3 piece, yes i was thinking that. but for that money it cant b crap, can it, i am interested now. so anything u find out, will b appreciated, thanks 4 the info dai..

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hi m8 . I only know what I've seen my brother uses both fixed spool and a multi and my father uses multi on his . my fathers rods are the 16ft models and my brothers has a 16ft and the 18ft .So the answer to your question is yes you can use eather.

·
Registered
21,373 Posts
Having gone back home at the weakend ,couldn'thelp but notice the new continental style fishing rods , the k2 being one . These rods are up to 18 ft . My brother and dad both have two . With an over head chuck these rods fly and distances of over 150-180 yards now problem even for the old man. my brother used to cast pendulem and has his 200 yard badge, and now he can get as far with the k2 .Does anyone use one down here , over rough ground ? can they handle it? over clean ground there's no probs.
:) I've got 2 x 5 metre models, 1 for multi and 1 for F/S. you're welcome to have a look and a waggle. You can't try them as they're new and I may be selling later on if my mate doesn't come up with the folding. :)

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
:) I've got 2 x 5 metre models, 1 for multi and 1 for F/S. you're welcome to have a look and a waggle. You can't try them as they're new and I may be selling later on if my mate doesn't come up with the folding. :)
If he's still on here this post was 13 years ago
Pete

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I still have my k2 18ft ldc and have put it up for sale(dont do much beach fishing nowadays)used it extensively its name k2 LDC is exactly what it is "Long Distance caster ! " And boy does it cast ! A simple overhead thump goes to distances where others dream off.I even used it on the field and try it brighton style i went close to magic the180- 200metre mark and i'm no big or tourney caster.
Imagine what a good caster can do with this rod.I remember the original k2 dutch team pasing the 200+ metres mark way back in early 2000's i think.
The theory behind the the long rod gives big distances with simple overhead thump is true !
But of course it runs out of steam at abt 200metres but to me and many others that where our dreams are to be at ! Its a fantastic rod ! And no its not for rough ground it has a sensitive tip and is a long distance small bait rod strictly for worms i'd say.

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
There no rough ground rod ,they bend to much, they can cast a fair way depending on the caster , any rod above 15ft starts working against you, they run out of steam around 180yds. Years ago I had 2 of them ,once did a back cast with one didn't think the rod was going to stop bending , heavy by todays standards, at one time they where all the rage on the Holderness coast.

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Hi,

The team extreme titanium is known as the best of the k2 range in NL (the dark silver grey one with cross carbon wrapp over the blank) .... it's still so popular overhere, that a new batch was brought out a couple of years ago to satisfy the demand! It's available in 14ft, 15ft and 16ft. As said, not the lightest by today's standard (think the 15ft was about 750g) but you won't notice when in the rod rest, and tbh i prefer the confidence of a solid blank over the lightness of a super thin walled rod;)
Unlike a lot of continental rods that are max 150g+bait rods, it's very capable of belting 200g+3bait(small) overhead.
I remember reading a casting test about 10/12 years ago where they reached over 200m with a 16ft one (212m with 150g or 175g if memory serves me well)
Certainly not an out and out rough ground rod by UK standards (we don't have such marks overhere) but a very capable mix between classic continental (soft)rods and some of the Brittish (very!)stiff blanks imho.

Gert

·
Registered
432 Posts
In a moment of boredom ( book work today due to weather ) just weighed the 15' k2 titaniun 680 grams all in so don't know where all this feels heavy comes from it is quite considerably lighter than your normal beach rods and far more capable than most of the continentals for certain tasks, I've taken it to the rocks fishing at sea level and it has performed adequately by the same token it has wrenched in strings of 6 mackeral and pulled them up through mid air no issues at all over the last 4 years it has performed above and beyond the call of duty, being a relatively cheap rod I've not particularly given it any special treatment and not one cracked whipping not one bit of staining on or around the ring feet, reel seat working perfectly and rod lacquer still A1, how may of the so called top end rods can you say that about ;)

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Sure the 18ft k2 ldc bends BUT the butt section is very stiff so you really got something to hit against and for us all average joe's on the beach its perfect i simply love a rod that bends.Anyway i've done about 180metres on the field to me its out of this world as i'm a skinny fella.Long live the long rod !

·
Registered
15,372 Posts
I had the 16 ft K2 Team Xtreme Titanium, used it for a year , then as it felt numb and tip heavy when casting, I adapted the butt section to take some counterweights, made it a bit better but it always seemed to get left in the rod cupboard in favour of my AFAW's so it got moved on, I just couldnt get on with the feeling of trying to whack 6 oz of lead and a pennel rigged bait on a 16 ft of rod OHT style, when the rod tip felt over heavy and didnt seem to want to do what I wanted it to , had a mind of its own.

I would imagine that a 14 footer would be much more user friendly. I had no,problems with the build quality and the high build finish was quite good. Cheap and nasty rod bag though.

Anyway, mine got moved on a few years ago.I hope the chap who bought it finds it OK .

Dave

1 - 20 of 22 Posts