World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone know about or have one of these rods? what are they like? seen one for £50 squid is it a good rod for medium ground? etc etc.

·
Banned
56 Posts
What shakespeare say about them

Shakespeare Salt Beach MX Rod 12ft 4-8oz (multiplier version) (2 piece) (Code 1452/360).
An out and out casting rod designed to suit all conditions and casting techniques. Ideal balance between power and a medium fast taper action. Supplied with top grade reducers the Salt Beach MX
beachcaster is ideal for general shore fishing for bass, cod, rays, whiting and flatfish.
Features:
- Fuji Guides.
- Shrink Tube Handle Grip.
- Spigot Joints.
- Fitted with UK Coasters.
- Glazed Tip.
- Supplied with 40cm Reducer

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
If it goes to 8oz it'll be suitable for medium ground no bother, you'll have the power in the blank to pull back through the weed. For £50 I'd give it a try, the Shakespear tackle has come a long way in recent years, loads of members love their k2 long rods.

If you do get one, lets us know how you get on. :D

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Bought the Shakey Salt Spin a nice light surf rod for £35. If its in the same range then the fittings and finishes are good, can't coment on the blank though. I think it replaced the Odessa though, and i knew people who used the Odessa 4-8oz for the rougher ground without much trouble.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'm using an odessa at the mo and find it a nice rod for rough ground, only cost £40 and t's taken a bit of a pasting without any issues apart from one of the liners popping out of an eye but nothing a bit of super glue couldn't fix lol. My mate just bought a salt beach rod, the 12' multiplier version. seems to have a better build quality than the odessa but is very whippy and with my limited knowledge would not recomend it for heavy work, saying that it handled big clumps of weed and even a seagull! I guess it depends what u want it for, my mate has a load of diff rods so for him it was a good buy but if it's only £50 and the ground you plan to fish ain't too snaggy then I say go for it! Tight lines :)

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Yep i would second that the build quality on the new salt range is better than that of the Odessa. Personally though i think that the older Odessa blanks where just more suited to UK fishing. The Odessa 4-8oz multi and the Odessa Bass where to very good rods for little money, many good anglers owned them as a second rod and i still use the Odessa Bass as a second rod for a lot of my light surf fishing with either a Abu 5000, Daiwa 7HT or a Shimano 6000 GTE baitrunner.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the input guys, i will pass the info on to my cousin ( as thats who's looking at it) sounds like a good rod for the price, i'll let you know how he fares with it.
thanks again & TIGHT LINES!:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts