World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· 'Blast Beach Veteran'
3,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought one of these and used it for the first time last night. I notice there's two pins on each of the leg locks. Is there add on accessories available? A trace bar or bait tray maybe? I tried the Shakespeare website to no avail. Anyone know?
Superb bit of kit though.

· Registered
6,971 Posts
Had one for a couple of weeks now - watch the butt holder when dismantling it there's a captive nut that can easily fall out if - like mine the plastic holder is upside down I was very lucky to find it as it's not the largest thing in the world;)

· Registered
377 Posts
I would guess they are some sort of trace hanger gizmo. Why not just buy a Golds or Parker rest instead? You know it makes sense as these Mickey Mouse numpty style rod rests all fall apart after half a season or so and you end up having to buy a decent rest anyway!!!!

· Registered
4,465 Posts
I think they are getting trace bars, add on side rests, leg locks and possibly bait trays. I'm not 100% but will fing out and let you know.

Be great if you did add it to the reviews section though. :D

· Registered
3,506 Posts
I would guess they are some sort of trace hanger gizmo. Why not just buy a Golds or Parker rest instead? You know it makes sense as these Mickey Mouse numpty style rod rests all fall apart after half a season or so and you end up having to buy a decent rest anyway!!!!
I've got Ian Golds tripods but bought one of the Shakespeare ones simply for fishing abroad because I don't want any kit on show in or on the car. They're a bit more fiddly than the Golds rest but a lot more versatile

· Registered
2,086 Posts
I got one last autumn, lovely tripod, heavy but not too heavy, I took the crossbar stabilizer things off mine as they were annoying me & now its less bulky, hasn't hit the deck yet unlike the telescopic gold's one I upgraded from, that thing fell over more times than a toddler with buttered feet!

great looking bit of kit, I would say it stands out from the crowd but everyone round my way seems to have one too! lol

Rob....

· Registered
448 Posts
Its all about setting your stand and rods up so they wont blow over, wind right to left you put the butts of the rods into the wind with the tips going with the wind and with a stronger wind just lower it and when it comes to piers i use the cheapy velcro straps i strap my rods and stand together with to attach to the railings
Alex

· Registered
73 Posts
Would anyone know where I can get spares for this rest?

I've done exactly what paid4 was on about and lost the whole attachment for the butt holder...

:(
I lost the handwheel that holds the top bar on the beach:wallbash:, I recomend you paint the small removable bits with a flourie paint or wrap a bit of tip tape round them.
I could not find a single replacement part, you can buy them by the dozen from fixing and fastening outfits on the net, I solved the issue with a m5 stainless steel wingnut, an m5 bolt will hold the butt holder or have you lost the whole sliding affair?

· Registered
6,971 Posts
I grew to absolutely hate this rest - there's a thread on here somewhere but I can't be bothered to look for it. It rusted where it could, bits broke off and worst of all the bloody thing kept falling over - I ended up giving it to a fishing guide in Gambia, he seemed happy and I was about as far away from the soddin' thing as I could get. I then went out and bought an MTI - now that really is a brilliant bit of kit:)

· Registered
1,125 Posts
A bit heavy but a great versatile tripod. I added a split washing up bowl to ties to mine with a cutting board and a bucket hanging off the hook. This makes it very stable and a great fishing station to move up / down the beach with all York kit as the tide floods / ebbs. Even hang my tackle & bait bags off it. Then all easy to move even with two rods. Add a bit of mighty bright tape in paces and a thermos holder a great for a nights winter fishing. Forget the shelter!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.