World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend and I were down at Porthcurnow last night fishing off rocks below the Minack Theatre and saw for a split second what looked like a Seal explode out of the water with a nice big bass (only a guess but it was a big silver fish) in its mouth. I did think it looked a bit aggresive in the "take" for a seal and also looked a bit "flappy". There were loads of seaguls in the water which did not return for the whole evening after that.

After about 45 min I spoted a large slender grey patch swimming towards us from the area where we had seen the fish taken earlier. By the time it got to within 5 meters of the rock we were fishing off, it was swiming on the surface (typically we had not caught any mack so couldn't chuck it any food!). We estimated about 7-8ft long deffinately bigger than a normal size door. It was quite slender, all grey on top, no distinct markings/change of colour on the fins and had a fairly rounded snout. We only saw the top because we were fishing high up on the rocks.

Anyone got any ideas what Shark this was?

Oh and we didn't catch sod all but it was a bit still for bass last night after I saw that I was hoping for a Ray though.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Hi Vaughan. Porbeagles have a habit of coming in close in to land. A guy in Ireland, Jack Shine I think, used to catch them from the shore. :eek:

:) KEEP ON ROCKIN' IN THE FREE WORLD :)

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi mate

I couldn't see a white bit on the Dorsal Fin which I thought the Porbeagles always had? Conditions are similar today so I'm tempted to head down there again tonight with a load of Mack, groundbait and a boat rod, see if I can get a closer look!! Catch, **** myself and release of course :D

·
Registered
24 Posts
vaughan about 10 years ago i was fishing hopes nose,just spinning for mackeral and everyone was catching bagfuls,then everything went really quiet.there i was stood on the edge of the rocks for about an hour when all of a sudden this shark appeared in front of me,it was just below the surface about 5 feet away from the rock edge.i know what people are going to think but believe me i know what a basking shark looks like and it was not one of them.this shark was approx 6 to 7ft long and i could not beleive what i was seeing.a sight that i will never ever forget.i can only assume it was a porgy and i reckon thats why the fishing went quiet.something i will probably never ever see again.

·
Registered
199 Posts
i know that this isnt relevant to the UK but keeping on topic: about 2 years ago at umhlanga rocks (near Durban) the sharks board caught a female great white approx 25ft long and just under 3000kgs! :eek: they have the photos of it up in the local surf life saving club.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts