World Sea Fishing Forums banner

201 - 220 of 239 Posts

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #201
Agreed.
Watched a lot of these videos recently because of my trip.

It's brutal and bloody.
But a little exciting too.

Falling in the water would definitely be a NO NO.

Quite a few of the charter skippers cut the line it seems if they know of a Shark homing in for the kill.

·
Registered
771 Posts
If a shark is after your tarpon the only right thing to do is either cut off the line or set the reel in freespool so the tarpon can try and get away...
The best tric I have seen was a video of a crew that had a 40 ft rope with several dead fish (Jacks, snapper etc.) at the end of it, if a shark showed up chasing their tarpon they would throw the rope and fish in the water with a lot of noise and the shark would switch focus. They released/cut off most tarpon that way, bonus is a tug of war with a 10 foot hammerhead :) and great video footage.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #206
FB_IMG_1465566898743.jpg
Take a look at this huge, possible world record, mako caught off the coast of Huntington Beach, CA. with Mako Matt’s and Breakaway Charters! Weighed in at over 1,300 lbs and 12 feet long!

Nothing short of WOW will do.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #208

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #209
Finally got my Blue Shark fishing in.
Boat Obsession
Skipper Andy Howell
Falmouth Cornwall

Took my 12 year old grandson too.

We have 6 sharks, they were circling the boat lots, but seemed very fussy about taking baits in the morning, but we caught eventually.

On the way out we witnessed a great scene.
Bluefin Tuna busting bait fish and there were several shoals of these in the region.
Skipper estimated them around 300lb.

Lots of Dolphins later on too, all made a trip more exciting for my Grandson Joseph.
2 happy anglers finished the day smiling.
FB_IMG_1502653415155.jpg
FB_IMG_1502653418857.jpg
FB_IMG_1502653411266.jpg
FB_IMG_1502653422807.jpg

·
YOU TALKING TO ME ?
5,553 Posts
That Mako would look 100% better alive and in the water,
I hope Andy times are changing.

That Mako is a truly beautiful beast, and one as you rightly point out should have been left to swim another day.

There are still those that believe the only 'good' shark is a dead shark, but thankfully they are becoming a rarity.

I'm not sure if you've ever heard of Vic Hislop, an Australian 'gentleman' who hunted sharks for years.

Had a stand up row with him once about his 'legacy'.

But as I said, those sort of folk are becoming rarer, well at least in western society.

·
Banned
3,492 Posts
When I was in the merchant navy, we were anchored off muscat about 2 miles from land. Used 7lb of liver on a meat hook, tied to mooring rope and a buoy float. Caught a large tiger shark and winched up on a derick. Then let it go to fight another day.

·
Registered
10,566 Posts
I hope Andy times are changing.

That Mako is a truly beautiful beast, and one as you rightly point out should have been left to swim another day.

There are still those that believe the only 'good' shark is a dead shark, but thankfully they are becoming a rarity.

I'm not sure if you've ever heard of Vic Hislop, an Australian 'gentleman' who hunted sharks for years.

Had a stand up row with him once about his 'legacy'.

But as I said, those sort of folk are becoming rarer, well at least in western society.
Hislop has had a change of opinion in his later life and is no longer of the opinion that sharks should be culled, in a recent interview he claimed to regret killing so many big sharks.

As for the mako, can't agree more on how magnificent they look swimming freely but if someone wants to keep one to eat I have no problem at all with that either. Makos are very common here and considered one of the best sharks to eat, no different from someone taking a cod home to eat.

·
Registered
798 Posts
from experience, until you've had a big nurse shark in a running tide you don't know the meaning of boredom/backache, I still put them back mind

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #215 (Edited)
I'm hoping to do a shark trip to Mazeppa South Africa in the near future.
1 of my South African mates has just set himself up as a fishing guide there.
With shore based Shark fishing as his speciality.
https://www.facebook.com/straightstickadventures/

Catch & release of course.
Eeeeeek
I need to work on my muscles 1st

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #216

Attachments

·
Registered
125 Posts
I’ve fished key west with some legend Angler’s over the years and I would have to say the most brutal that your still allowed to angle for (g.w are protected) are the bull sharks without a doubt. Get a massive bull and your in for a big hard long brutal fight. Only time I’ve ever wanted to hand over a rod was on a bull hooked over a big wreck so had to give it no qtr and my back locked up. My mates refused you will be pleased to hear and I one the fight. Black top and spinners are fun and great hammerhead are amazing creatures and powerful but for me bull sharks are brutal.... good luck, hope you have a good strong back. Ps I always use stand up and fight gear with just a small butt pad!!!!!!! The right rod makes a massive difference in the fight too so do your homework.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Ps totally agree if you want sharks in key west / Florida lets them catch a barracuda take some fillets and then dangle over the side. Within an half to an hour you will be infested with sharks on the flats. To catch the barracuda use a green tube lure. Mental sport and as the other chap said reel as fast as you can, deffo use high speed reel if poss. Good luck I’m out there again in 2019.... Disney world beckons this year with the kids

·
Registered
125 Posts
My son would love to do that - at 6 yos do you think it’s too young to do that trip. Plus could you give me an idea how much a trip like that costs? I’m reckoning about £400plus????

201 - 220 of 239 Posts