World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, so .. making my annual summer trip to the welsh coast for a weekends fishing. Planning on camping on Shell Island, anyone suggest any good marks to try from, how its fishing currently etc etc ?

Cheers,

:wiggle:

·
Registered
580 Posts
I'm off there too, does anyone have any tips or recent reports?

ta

From shore tends to be Bass during the day and mainly dogs, huss, bass, silver eels during the night. Its a very busy time of year though which means bathers are around and in my opinion its not even worth wetting a line if their around. Night time is the only time i would fish the shore, low water for the dingy beach and the bigger the tide range the better.
If your lucky enough to get out on a boat, mackeral are now around after a slow start, we have had some fantastic bream fishing although tope fishing has not been as good as previous years. Thornbacks used to be common in the area but were over fished, we have had some good ones recently although i do throw them back to help build the stocks up.

Tight lines

f
Tight lines

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cheers, thanks. Hopefully can find a bit of beach not full of bathers etc :) is there a good tackle shop anywhere on route? Coming frombrum.

·
Registered
741 Posts
if its large tides can normally find a bit of free beach the end of the rocks at low tide.

theres 3 tackle shops on the way through barmouth and as long as its not market day parking is £2 for the day in some places.

Weed could still be heavy, though i found a spot on the main beach about 200 yards left of the rocks that was fishable around low water

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I guess bathers etc will be out in force no matter the weather if most of them are camping down there.. Best give the Island a rign to check theyre not full or we will be making contingency plans for Barmouth I reckon.

Cheers,

·
Registered
580 Posts
So I guess bathers etc will be out in force no matter the weather if most of them are camping down there.. Best give the Island a rign to check theyre not full or we will be making contingency plans for Barmouth I reckon.

Cheers,
If planning to go to shell island in the main holiday season on a friday or saturday you are well advised to ring before hand to check if and when they go full and you cannot book a place either its purley first come first seved. I would imagine they will be pretty full this year throughout the main holiday period as Wales Tourist board have been running adverts featuring shell island.
In my opinion Jetskiers, Bathers and Dogs do tend to scare the fish off, and when the island is full and the weather is half decent you will find plenty bouncing through the waves. Sorry to sound like i am being negative, however it is well worth having a session about 3/4 mile down the main beach, this is more or less in front of a deeper channel and it does invite some good fishing. As its such a long walk you will find far less bathers if any in this area. Lol if you go much further you may find bathers but they will be nude lol.
Visit Shell Island in September its much quieter, and the fishing over the last few years has been very good from shore and boat.

f

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As its such a long walk you will find far less bathers if any in this area. Lol if you go much further you may find bathers but they will be nude lol.
Visit Shell Island in September its much quieter, and the fishing over the last few years has been very good from shore and boat.

f

Sorted if there isnt much being caught then!! :clap:

·
Registered
899 Posts
Hope you do a follow up report on here
Was going to do the extra mileage and head down the Llyn in a few days but not hearing of much happening down there and the missus loves Shell island so if you have any joy might head down that way.
Cheers Nick

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I said I would post back... a blank doh!! :( It was all looking so good. Arrived on the Friday night and set up camp, a lush summer evening with beer and bbq followed by a reccy around the dingey beach round to the jetty. We could even see and hear fish breaking the surface as the tide was nearing low tide. so decided to fish along the dingey beach the next day working round to the jetty for the same time the following night.

Woke up to classic Welsh mist and fairly horizintal persistant drizzle/rain. Unpeterbed we spent the next 6 or so hours trying various rigs/distances with combos of lug and sandeel and some spinning toow ith spinners and wedges.

Nowt.. not even a nibble, the weed was pretty bad going down to low water too so after 6 or so hours we trudged dejectedly back to camp sodden.

I really can't work out what went wrong, any locals who may be able to shed some light it woudl be appreciated.

Would love to know what the fish that were surfacing were.

On a positive note my new rod/reel was awesome!!! adn we did have a laugh despite the weather/blank .. got to find the silver cloud somewhere ;)

·
Registered
741 Posts
unlucky mate, when the weed is bad there its horrendous

in the harbour, the fish breaking were most likely mullet, i have waded out in low water and seen big, tight shoals of maybe several hundred fish in the shallow water, they startle when seagulls fly over. there are bass there as well though so could be both of them.

tbh theres not alot different that you could do when the weed is bad, its fishable. the only thing i would have suggested is having another look around all the beaches at low water to find a gap in the weed.

As long as you enjoyed the weekend though that the important thing

1 - 13 of 13 Posts