World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed a few reports of late from a few of yew buoys fishing the Lifeboat end.
I wanted to have a look at the work on the promenade repairs and the beach at low water. It's a chalky bottom down there. Strapped the camera on me swede and took this:

[video=youtube;xAROEiTZFOc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAROEiTZFOc&feature=youtu.be[/video]

It was a bit noisy so I chopped the wind out and put some blues in.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Good vid,the music went well with it. That chalky bottom down there extends on the low water mark to ye ol high and its called robins friend. It is said that robin hood foraged there when he came this way once a year to exploit the rich in this area. Bit like a robbers holiday. that rough ground attracts fish winter and summer and given the right conditions it can throw up some superb fishing.

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Brineblood. Do you know anymore history regarding Robins Friend? Does anyone else?
Do you fish it regular?

·
Registered
66 Posts
yes i fish it very often ,have done for years . If you want to get the best out of it for the fishing you need to put the time in by investigating the low water mark to look for any depressions in the bed that will hold food,its different every tide some times its not there at all ,but when it is and we have good north blow you can bet on fish. As for the history,you can find much of it amongst the chalk in the form of fossils, like urchins,belimites fish,sponge and if your incredibly lucky you could find shark as one of my friends has ,the fossil remains of a jawbone, teeth and all. But when it comes to finds he has all the luck. After the storm surge we were metal detecting and he found a large ball of rope and line ,attached was no less than 83 sea leads 100's of booms clips and swivels ,lucky git.

·
Registered
177 Posts
bet he new he was carrying them back if you work it out on an average lead of 5oz it roughly comes to 1.852 stone / roughly 26lb lol lucky get what a find

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
yes i fish it very often ,have done for years . If you want to get the best out of it for the fishing you need to put the time in by investigating the low water mark to look for any depressions in the bed that will hold food,its different every tide some times its not there at all ,but when it is and we have good north blow you can bet on fish. As for the history,you can find much of it amongst the chalk in the form of fossils, like urchins,belimites fish,sponge and if your incredibly lucky you could find shark as one of my friends has ,the fossil remains of a jawbone, teeth and all. But when it comes to finds he has all the luck. After the storm surge we were metal detecting and he found a large ball of rope and line ,attached was no less than 83 sea leads 100's of booms clips and swivels ,lucky git.
Interesting ,I've fished it a bit from either end of the rough ground and i've allways found it to be much better under a northerly blow,,,,if fact its not on my list of spots to fish unless there's a good sea coming in,,,others have disagreed with me...

·
Registered
66 Posts
Interesting ,I've fished it a bit from either end of the rough ground and i've allways found it to be much better under a northerly blow,,,,if fact its not on my list of spots to fish unless there's a good sea coming in,,,others have disagreed with me...
Yes as i said if we get a north blow you can bet on fish. You can find them with out the wind ,just sometimes like mission impossible [praying for a north soon,not had one since the storm surge]

·
Registered
66 Posts
bet he new he was carrying them back if you work it out on an average lead of 5oz it roughly comes to 1.852 stone / roughly 26lb lol lucky get what a find
Oh he felt the strain but so did i after walking the detectors back then walking back to cut it in half an both taking back.I forgot to mention amongst the mass there were 3 heavy duty cable ties attached to rope and an onion sack ,thought it could have been a lead trap put down on an anchor from a boat.We also found a seal flipper bone . The seal must have been lured in by a fish attached to some ones gear and got attached its self.

·
Registered
66 Posts
could be, but the more i think about it , some one could have set a rubaduby bag up on the low tide mark ,then that could have washed into a snag ,creating the lead trap.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I noticed a few reports of late from a few of yew buoys fishing the Lifeboat end.
I wanted to have a look at the work on the promenade repairs and the beach at low water. It's a chalky bottom down there. Strapped the camera on me swede and took this:

[video=youtube;xAROEiTZFOc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAROEiTZFOc&feature=youtu.be[/video]

It was a bit noisy so I chopped the wind out and put some blues in.
Good posting, thanks. Sorry I had to turn the sound off, so I could sneak a look at work!
I've had a couple of evenings just past the lifeboat station. Enjoyable, only lost one set of gear on a snag, so maybe the marl doesn't get that close to the town

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Jerryman, folk are telling me me best bit is the music!
You're right mate there is a lot more sand closer in towards the town. If you walk on the marl at the lifeboat end its pretty flat and worn and not so many flint brinks to pull your tackle up.
Looking at the sea on this day there is a gully running out there quite a few yards off which looks promising should a bait be dropped in there.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts