World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

A mate of mine has been offered a Shetland 535 tody and has asked me for advice on it, I told him I dont know about them but there are men that do!!

So, any helpful advice fo him? What are they like? Stable? Good on a Johnson 55hp Outboard? Easy to launch? Good to fish from? Easy to maintain and get spares for?

Thanks in advance guys.

Rich

G

·
Good first boat if on a budget.
Most will need a bit of DIY style TLC, but assuming all is serviceable then it should make for good fun in your first time afloat.

·
Registered
438 Posts
the 535 is a very good boat engin is in the range of size for it a good boat well made and good on the water have fun

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
Yep, if it's all working then grab it. Good boats.

·
The Oracle
8,208 Posts
Hiya,

they are superb sea boats, I had one for 16 years and I still regret selling it, in fact if I had the chance I would buy it back tomorrow even though I have a 26' cat now.

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
[IMG]http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u170/backlash-3/Picture025.jpg[/IMG
]

heres a photo of ours, 535 hull with a cuddy,quite rare i think it called a personel carrier. has a 100hp yamaha four stroke . a bit over kill but good fun!

·
Registered
280 Posts
I have a 535, great first boat, i've gotta 45 mariner and at a guess it does 14 ish knots and burns about 18 gallons and hour, two up with fishing gear.
You could squeeze 3 on it but it would be VERY tight for fishing.
Have been out in at S/W F6 (not forecasted) and she was fine, bit uncomforatable but she made it!!
Go get it!!!
Arron

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have a 535, great first boat, i've gotta 45 mariner and at a guess it does 14 ish knots and burns about 18 gallons and hour, two up with fishing gear.
You could squeeze 3 on it but it would be VERY tight for fishing.
Have been out in at S/W F6 (not forecasted) and she was fine, bit uncomforatable but she made it!!
Go get it!!!
Arron
You mean gallon as in 4.54609 liters? Then buy a new engine....

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
OMG :blink: :blink: :blink:

I use less than that on our Prestige 50!!!!

I think his engine needs some serious work-or using as an anchor... I used to burn 5 gallons an hour with my 50 on a microplus 2 up with a weekend's gear aboard and it'd do 20 knots

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
Nah even 8 gph is way too much for that engine. Mine only used 5gph at full throttle everywhere...

·
Registered
3,759 Posts

hope it worked this time, they are nice boats and handle well.not the newish of boats but still get the job done. lots of room for 2 people we have fished 4 with no prob. 50-70hp motors are ideal this one a bit of a nutter with the 100hp but good on the petrol as we run at lower revs.

·
Registered
533 Posts
had a 535 for a couple of years, my second boat ,
would definately say a good first boat , a lot of cabin and not much deck but very safe and sea worthy ,,they are quite a heavy boat for the size so needs a decent trailer to launch ...

good luck,,,,,

·
Raider 18 Owner
6,488 Posts
I Had A 535 For Years Their A Good Boat A Little On The Heavy Side But A Good Fishing Platform Mine Had A 70hp Johnson And Would Average 5 Gph

·
The Oracle
8,208 Posts
Hiya,

hope it worked this time, they are nice boats and handle well.not the newish of boats but still get the job done. lots of room for 2 people we have fished 4 with no prob. 50-70hp motors are ideal this one a bit of a nutter with the 100hp but good on the petrol as we run at lower revs.
erm I may be wrong but are you sure that's a Shetland 535 ??

This was my 535

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
davey sorry it looks like you are rite just looked on the shetland site and i think its a 536 hull on the plate it says SHETLAND PERSONEL CARRIER it is quite rare only seen one other. 17ft 6 in with what looks like a alaska cuddy.

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
davey sorry it looks like you are rite just looked on the shetland site and i think its a 536 hull on the plate it says SHETLAND PERSONEL CARRIER it is quite rare only seen one other. 17ft 6 in with what looks like a alaska cuddy.
It looks like a better boat than the 535 :)

By the way, what's the model number for the trailer? It's the size I'm after for my new boat and it'd make it a lot easier to work out if I had the number for comparison.
Cheers :D

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
nos4r2 the boat isnt handy so i cant tell you the model number for the trailer wont be seeing it for a few weeks im afraid. a freind might have a trailer for sale should be seeing him next week i think its a fletcher its about the same size. i will pm you when i know more.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts