World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having recently started and enjoying sea fishing, my parents bought me a reel for my birthday having no knowledge about any kind of fishing they got me a shimano baitrunner GTEB 5000 ! Although not a sea fishing reel I was very gratefull today I have been using it and it seems fine but as its designed for course/carp fishing will the salt and sand ruin it ! A bloke at work advised me not to use it but someone in my local tackle shop said its ok as long as I clean it after use. Can anyone advise me please
Thanks Richard

G

·
What I would after use, I use freshwater reels for sea fishing, is to take the drag nut off remove the spool and give them all a good rinse under the tap when you come back home!

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
When I 'returned' to sea fishing two years ago I also wanted to use the Shimano (as it seemed to be top of every 'poll' I read) However I went to a tackle shop and although he stocked the Shimano and would have sold me it, he recommended a Daiwa Regal. He used the arguement that you've already mentioned regarding corrosion and sand wear. It made sense to me particularly as the Daiwa, being less engineered was more robust, as well as being half the price! I've always used 'fresh-water' reels in the past and made them last by assiduously cleaning them after use. My Abus get the same treatment anyway! However I have to say that my Regal's still going strong and I've recently bought the smaller (slightly) 4000BRi, which is not salt proofed, for another rod. Both have 'Twist-buster' (great name!! but seems to work) mechanism/system to avoid twisting line under pressure. Doubtless the Shimano with care would be 'better' but probably not TWICE as good! I use my Daiwas for spinning and light ledgering when the Bait-running system allows really good bite indication.

As an experiment I recently bought a brand new RonThompson beachcaster for £10 and a larger baitrunner for £15. (name escapes me - but not a front runner (pardon the pun!) which will get the TLC it obviously MUST have to last. Must be said that non of my fishing tackle, including rods, ever gets the bully treatment. Having witnessed some anglers using their stuff for 'winching' I can well understand that some cheap stuff gives up the ghost.

My advice would be not to try manhandling rigs and leads through kelp with your Baitrunner! I'm sure you have more sense than to try it but there's nothing says you can't put your rod down if you get snagged and pull the line out by hand! I carry an 18" piece of broom handle to help with this process, seems easier to wrap a few turns around than bedding line down into the coils on the spool or stressing the cogs, bearings above their designed limits. If you fish a pier, then buy yourself a dropnet!!!!!! Good luck with your tremendous reel!!

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
i use a baitrunner for my freshwater salmon fishing + also for spinning/float fishing in the sea, iv had no problems with it. i just rinse it with freshwater after each trip.
i wouldnt use mines for any heavy stuff but for spinning ect its perfect

G

·
I use carp reels for heavy float fishing and lighter abu cardinals for light float fishing! I always rinse my out when I get back home!

·
Accepts cakes as bribes.
12,213 Posts
Got 2 Shimano Aero GT baitrunners and 2 Shimano VX reels, similar to the gt's but no bait runner. Both reels have survived over 10 years abuse and they look like they just came out of the box. Everyone talks about Abu and Daiwa and Penn and they are without doubt fine reels, but I'd never be without my Shimano's. Use it with confidence, do what Phil says and rinse it under the tap after use, and let it dry on it's own, don't put it on a radiator (or in the tumble dryer) :eek: and it will last forever.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Phil........Cardinals,,a man of taste.
I still give my old 55`s a run out occasionally and they have handled 20lb+Pike no problem.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts