World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After taking the much given advice to get a Shimano reel, I have come up with a list that are in my price range. Under £70!

I'm after something which is 'bomb proof', ideal for all/most shore fishing scenarios. Forgive me, I do not know what half the lingo is yet. I keep seeing stuff like, suitable for 'Bristol channel'. I don't really know why that is commonly used. Also rough ground reels and big pit (I'm guessing carp fishing).

I will mostly be using in Kent on the River Medway or on the English Channel.

I appreciate all help.

Thanks
Jon

·
Registered
307 Posts
Shimano Navi is also worth a look in that price range, it's a nice bit of middle ground between the Aerlex and Biomaster. I use one and can't fault it.

That said, if you can afford a biomaster then get one, they're terrific reels by all accounts.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Shimano Navi is also worth a look in that price range, it's a nice bit of middle ground between the Aerlex and Biomaster. I use one and can't fault it.

That said, if you can afford a biomaster then get one, they're terrific reels by all accounts.
I've found a biomaster 8000 gtx and xta. Can these be used for sea fishing? I noticed the Navi when I checked out Gerry's of Morecambe website.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Any of the Shimano 7000/8000/10000 reels will be fine for shore fishing except for the bait runners, they'll still work but only course anglers tend to use them. Shimano have quite a useful comparison chart for all their big pit/surf reels.

See here:

http://fish.shimano-eu.com/publish/content/global_fish/en/nl/index/customer_service0/reel_comparison_charts.download.-mainParsys-0008-downloadFile.html/surf%20reels%202012.jpg

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Dunno about the others but had a Biomaster for 30yrs+, never gave me any trouble whatsoever, but the older shims may have been better built than the new ones.

lighty

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Dunno about the others but had a Biomaster for 30yrs+, never gave me any trouble whatsoever, but the older shims may have been better built than the new ones.

lighty
Thanks Lighty,

I've just purchased a Biomaster 8000 GTX, I'm not sure if its a decent model or not. I just hope it's in good nick and suitable for my needs.

Thanks again

·
Registered
8,195 Posts
I've used the Aerlex's for over 30 years without any trouble :clap3:, in fact my first one went 30 years before I even bothered to service it :eek:hmy:. I've recently added a Biomaster to my collection too and so it's also a cracking reel so I would go for either of those two :thumbs:.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've used the Aerlex's for over 30 years without any trouble :clap3:, in fact my first one went 30 years before I even bothered to service it :eek:hmy:. I've recently added a Biomaster to my collection too and so it's also a cracking reel so I would go for either of those two :thumbs:.
Thanks Andy

I went for the Biomaster.

Jon

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ive had gt8000 and the biomaster for many years and theyre spot on.
The gt8000 i took out the plastic bushes and replaced them with bearings, its now a biomaster :bleh::bleh::bleh:
Brilliant reel
:idea:

Good stuff. I hope I get many years or use from mine then. Or at least until I want a new reel.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts