World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning,

Been looking into the Shimano blue romance range as been pointed in this direction for a heavier travel rod. (4 Piece)

anyone have any feed back on them ?

And if so anyone have a link to somebody who I can purchase one off.

looking at the 40-60 g casting as that the heaviest they do for travel

thanks

FC

·
Registered
880 Posts
I've got a blue romance STC stickbait 7'6" 40-60g.
I haven't used it yet, got it ready for a Gambia trip in December, but I've had it out for a test cast and the 40-60 is a true rating. It's comfortable casting 60g. The rod is nice & light, really well made, Fuji K guides, nice handle. While light in weight it has a much heavier duty feel than a Savage Gear roadrunner of a similar rating.
I'll be using it for lighter weight tropical lure fishing, my old man's wrist won't allow me to cast 100g poppers all day so this will be just the right strength for me. Also feels like it should be a good boat jigging rod, where I'm sure it would handle jigs a bit over 60g where they're not being cast.
The only thing that concerned me slightly was the description on the Shimano website, describing the rod as having a soft tip. Hard to know what they mean when buying mail order. But, I wouldn't call it soft, feels just like a normal lure rod to me.
As to where you can get one, I think mine came from Monster Tackle, but they don't list them any more, they seem a bit thin on the ground at the mo, Google shows a couple of places have the 8ft 20-55g rod listed, might be worth a few phone calls.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've got a blue romance STC stickbait 7'6" 40-60g.
I haven't used it yet, got it ready for a Gambia trip in December, but I've had it out for a test cast and the 40-60 is a true rating. It's comfortable casting 60g. The rod is nice & light, really well made, Fuji K guides, nice handle. While light in weight it has a much heavier duty feel than a Savage Gear roadrunner of a similar rating.
I'll be using it for lighter weight tropical lure fishing, my old man's wrist won't allow me to cast 100g poppers all day so this will be just the right strength for me. Also feels like it should be a good boat jigging rod, where I'm sure it would handle jigs a bit over 60g where they're not being cast.
The only thing that concerned me slightly was the description on the Shimano website, describing the rod as having a soft tip. Hard to know what they mean when buying mail order. But, I wouldn't call it soft, feels just like a normal lure rod to me.
As to where you can get one, I think mine came from Monster Tackle, but they don't list them any more, they seem a bit thin on the ground at the mo, Google shows a couple of places have the 8ft 20-55g rod listed, might be worth a few phone calls.

Thanks for the quick reply steve,

what fish will you be targeting in the gambia. I have found a couple of suppliers but am thinking of the heavier 50-80 version myself. this will atleast handle the heavier fish or bigger species I may come across where I am heading in the sub troipcs.
but thanks for your info on the 40-60g

·
Registered
880 Posts
Went to Guinea-Bissau last year, caught barracuda (see my profile pic!), jacks, snappers, and some others, using their tackle, I mainly used a Daiwa 9ft 14-56g lure rod, so hopefully more of the same on my own travel rod next time!

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have the 8ft 20-55g stickbait.

Its a decent rod, not the lightest mind you, but id say that at 55g it doesnt feel too happy casting that weight, personally id definately look towards the topwater model 50-80g

I paired mine with a saragosa 6000sw and it balances quite nicely!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts