World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The good lady has gone and done well, a new charter special !

But what is the best way to work out how much line to fill it. I have heard that I dont want to fill it with braid (expensive !!) but what combination of mono and braid should I go with.

I intend to use 25lb braid so advice in that area would be great.

Cheers

David

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
The good lady has gone and done well, a new charter special !

But what is the best way to work out how much line to fill it. I have heard that I dont want to fill it with braid (expensive !!) but what combination of mono and braid should I go with.

I intend to use 25lb braid so advice in that area would be great.

Cheers

David
Wrap a bit of electrical tape around the spool then tie your braid on (the braid will dig into the tape, otherwise it will just slip) reel on your braid when the braid is all on, tie on your mono backing and fill the reel up. Then reel the line on to another spare reel, and then another. The line will now be reversed redy to reel on to your charter special the right way around and you know it will fill the reel to the right level. Hope that makes sense! :fish:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that ..and it makes sense.... but I dont have any other reels to be able to do it that way......

Has anyone got this reel and can remember how much was needed to fill it ? Its the 1000 model (should have put that in the first post)

David

G

·
I would personally fill it just over two thirds full with your choice of mono backing then get a 300 yard spool of your chosen braid (300 yards allows for the odd snap off etc). Load as much of that on as possible (should get all of it on) to take you to within about half a centimetre of the lip of the spool. Then simply add two to 4 arms spans of a mono top shot to act as a shock absorber and to a lesser extent for abrasion resistance.

Tom

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
2/3rds and then Braid, then Whiplash...

Got it Cheers :clap3: :clap3:

David

G

·
The whiplash is a brand of braid.

2/3rds mono backing
300 yards of your chosen braid (maybe whiplash)
short top shot of mono leader.

Job Done

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OOps.... :doh:

Showing my inexperience......

Then that is why I come here for advice..... Thanks Tom....

David..

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Thanks for that ..and it makes sense.... but I dont have any other reels to be able to do it that way......

Has anyone got this reel and can remember how much was needed to fill it ? Its the 1000 model (should have put that in the first post)

David
I have some TLD10 reels (which I think are the same size as the Charter Special2000) so ....if you haven't got/can't borrow another reel to reverse the line you might try just half-filling it with mono before you start loading the braid ? Half- rather than 2/3 - (unless you are happy not getting all 300yd of braid on)

I've got a suspicion the Charter Special 1000 is only the same line capacity as the old TLD5 which is more-or-less the same as a 6,000 series Abu (definitely smaller than a 7,000 Ambassadeur)

Anyone know for sure ? IF you've still got the original packaging, how much 20lb mono does it say it can hold ?

·
Registered
250 Posts
CHARTER SPECIAL
Model Number Spool capacity (lb/yds) Gear Ratio
TR1000LD 12-390/14-330/17-250 5,2:1
TR2000LD 14-480/17-400/20-300 5,2:1

1 - 10 of 10 Posts