World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About 3 months ago I bought a Shimano Exage 4000 rear drag fixed spool. However after a couple of months it began to grind and stick on the retrieve. By stick i mean at a certain point of the retrieve on every retrieve, as the bail arm is oscillating and the end of the reel (dont know the technical name) moves up and down, it becomes stiff and sticks. It was when the reel was at the lowermost part of the retrieve (closest to the reel body if you know what I mean) that the reel stuck. This causes a straight smooth retrieve to become jerky. It has been getting worse after every use. Its as if the reel frame has become deformed and catches as it oscillated, but that shouldnt happen on a 3 months old shimano! I also cant see any obvious signs of deformation. I looked after the reel well, washed it in freshwater after use and oiled it a number of times but the problem is just getting worse. Ive returned it to where I bought it and there going to forward it to shimano to repair.

Just wondering if anyone has had any similar problems with this reel and if they know what the cause is?
Also how long do shimano take to repair and return products?

Cheers Ben

WSF Primary Administrator.
I have had exactly the same problem with Shimano and Quantum reels.
I think that its all about the gear alignment.The new Shimanos have a maintenence port hole on the side plate so you dont have to take it apart for servicing etc.
Someone told me that Shimano repairs take about 3 weeks.

Nick.

Registered
I know I may sound like a snob again, but it is a 拢40 reel at the end of the day, but in saying that it should last longer than a few months. I think you will find the guys at Felindre servicing can turn most repairs around in a few days, they really have got their act together over the last couple of years. Now you have to add up if the postage and maybe a 拢10-拢15 repair bill is justified??? It may be covered by warranty, but if it is salt corosion then maybe not, I don't know how they stand on these things, they probably won't know either til they open it up.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
(Quote) I know I may sound like a snob again, but it is a 拢40 reel at the end of the day (Quote)

I know its a lower end priced reel, but saying that it is still a popular shimano spinning reel that comes highly reccomended by a number of sites/magazines. Any reel should last longer than 3 months never mind a well respected Shimano model. Some people I know have used this reel in the sea for a couple of years with no problems. I washed it in the sink after every saltwater use anyway to avoid this problem!, just seems I got a duff model.

Are there any reels that stand up well to saltwater corrosion without having to pay 200 odd quid for a van staal?

Registered
No youre quite right Ben, it should last longer than it did, I had one brought in this morning, 18 months old and sticking, the guy bought a front drag in the end. I am sure Felindre will help you out if you phone them. What does the shop say where you brought it from? Dont they want to help you out?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What does the shop say where you brought it from? Dont they want to help you out?
I bought it from www.harrisonstackle.com. Ive posted the reel to them and they are forwarding it on to Shimano (is the Felindre you speak of the UK shimano service or something?). All products have a 1 year warranty so im assuming they fit the bill for repair (they better had!).

Im also thinking of going front drag for my next spin reel as I dont actually play with the drag that much when playing a fish.

Im a poor masters student at the moment, so unfortunately ill have to wait abit until I get a proper job to afford the more expensive better made stuff :(

Registered
I bought it from www.harrisonstackle.com. Ive posted the reel to them and they are forwarding it on to Shimano (is the Felindre you speak of the UK shimano service or something?). All products have a 1 year warranty so im assuming they fit the bill for repair (they better had!).

Im also thinking of going front drag for my next spin reel as I dont actually play with the drag that much when playing a fish.

Im a poor masters student at the moment, so unfortunately ill have to wait abit until I get a proper job to afford the more expensive better made stuff :(
These reels have an excellent reputation Ben. I am sure you just got a duff one and that the reel will come back as good as new.

WSF Primary Administrator.
As far as saltwater reels go Shimano seem to label the Stella and Stradic models as saltwater sport reels.
I use the Stradics that have double anadised spools etc and supposidley corrosian proof bearings.
Even though this maybee true I still wash and re-lubricate the accesible bearings like the line roller and handle.
The worst thing you can do is to use WD40 as all it will do is wash away the oil lubrication etc.

Nick.

Registered
Yes mate Felindre are the Uk Shimano service agents. And Treeman is right, they are very good value reels and I have sold loads of them, but you do get the odd one that lays line terribly or grinds like a coffee grinder after no time at all.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The worst thing you can do is to use WD40 as all it will do is wash away the oil lubrication etc.

Nick.
Oops :headhurt:

Now another question has arisen, which is a good reel lubricant? I dont think it came with any in the box.

I think I may go for a Stradic when I get some more income and use the Exage for freshwater use.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts