World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
Thats a right downer if true indeed, I have always rated Shimano and have various older models that i have used both in Salt and freshwater fishing. Their again I have used most reels in the sea, as long as you rinse them under fresh water and dry in a warm place should have no problems and is basic maintenance anyway.

Can someone clarify with Shimano if this is fact or fiction ?

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
I only use FS Shimano reels for Sea fishing and have never had a problem nore have I taken apart my first Sea reel that is now 10 years old and it's in top nick.

They sell Sea fishing reels for beach casting and advertise the Shimano Biomaster 8000 XS as a beach casting reel????

Does sound a bit fishy to me.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
The Stellas are definitey reccommended by Shimano for salt water use and are one of the most preferred reels for GT fishing. The Power Aero is also recommended for surf use on their site.

·
Registered
21,236 Posts
The Stellas are definitey reccommended by Shimano for salt water use and are one of the most preferred reels for GT fishing. The Power Aero is also recommended for surf use on their site.

beat me to it mate:)

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
I have an Exage I use for spinning, not a spot of corrosion on it and its more than a year old now.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Likewise i have had a Stradic 4000 GTM-RA for over 18months and it shows no signs of corrosion, even though it is made for the freshwater market.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Wife Jo has a baitrunner 4000 called the "seaspin", and two others, also a couple of biomaster 8000s, they have been used for at least 15 years in the U.K., Belgium, Portugal, Ireland, Australia and Florida.

Good enough? definitely! Whoever said they aren't any good in the sea was talking complete spherical objects.

philtherod

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
I have a 4000 Aero GTM (I think) which is about 12 years old. I've used it in the sea as well as for coarse fishing. Took it apart for the first time about 8 months ago and it was in mint condition. Got to say though, it's the most complicated reel internally that I've ever had to deal with - far more complicated and downright fiddly than and multiplier. Saying that, it shouldn't need touching for at least another 10 years! ;)

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Just discovered a small scratch on my Exage 4000. I'll never be in the position of buying a 'new car', but I think I now know how it would feel to discover a 'blemish' on one's pride and joy. I'll go and inspect the 'book o' words' that came with the reel, ref' sea water. Cheers, Tony O-P.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
The specific reel I am referring to is the BAITRUNNER AERO GTE-B new model.
Described as a spinning reel.

The point was, allegedly, use in salt water invalidates the warranty. The dealer has just had one such case! :wacko:
I've had a Shimano representative (on the "fishingmagic" website - primarily freshwater) advise me just that when I asked about using a baitrunner for fishing very close in , in salt water creeks.

I suspect their warranties are different for different ranges of reels.
They could not , for example, say you shouldn't use the Stella 20,000 (a reel specifically designed for super-heavyweight sea fishing with reel lines of 80 to 130lb b.s.) in the sea.

Unfortunately, I guess they have lumped all baitrunners (and "big pit reels" - even though they have just announced a new one with front-drag incorporating a baitrunner system . . . as suitable for surf fishing as well ) together as 'freshwater reels' for the warranties.

bit of a "boo-boo" on their part !

·
Registered
12,163 Posts
May be Dave Lewis could give an answer?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts