World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw these on fleabay and thought they looked like an insane bit of fun for catching pollack and other species on from the boat.

eBAy Item number: 330095522305

Fancy getting one as i am hooked on the light tackle fishing craze at the moment. The same seller also has other lighter and heavier similar style trigger grip spinning rods and baitcaster multiplyers all at very cheap prices!

I have a Fladen Solid C rod which looks like a similar style of rod (although made for saltwater). Does anybody else use really light tackle for the pollack? If you don't you do not know how much fun you could be missing!

I think the rod above coupled with the Shimano Callsito CSO 100 with 20lb Berkley braid would be amazing, coupled with a large angry pollack on the end over a shallow reef or close to the rocks.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Yeah light tackle is brilliant i like the idea that the fish has a sporting chance of getting away i use a 8 foot spinning rod and shimano exage 4000 for the pollack and f**k me its fun

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
I bought a Shimano Stimula in Florida several years ago
It casts light leadheads a long way - further than its short length would suggest.
So far it has landed brown trout to 5 3/4lb, pollack 8lb, char 3 1/4lb, and loads of mackerel. Not to mention the Florida species.
As long as the tide is not running hard chances are I will use it sometime every fishing trip.
It was a cheap rod but seems a good bit of carbon.
Great fun:fishing:

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hahaa! more light tackle enthusiasts. Yeah for £25 it looks a great buy. I have now got 2 Shimano Callsito reels and a few other baitcaster style reels for boat and shore fishing. light tackle with braid is unbeatable in my opinion. I love the fight from a single mackerel on a that 6'6'' fladen spinning rod. if you fish light you can get great sport for them. I cant wait to get a few of them and some pollack on the fly this year aswell. I am even thinking about using a light coarse fishing match rod to catch them!

T

·
0 Posts
Hahaa! more light tackle enthusiasts. Yeah for £25 it looks a great buy. I have now got 2 Shimano Callsito reels and a few other baitcaster style reels for boat and shore fishing. light tackle with braid is unbeatable in my opinion. I love the fight from a single mackerel on a that 6'6'' fladen spinning rod. if you fish light you can get great sport for them. I cant wait to get a few of them and some pollack on the fly this year aswell. I am even thinking about using a light coarse fishing match rod to catch them!
My standard Pollack rod is a Speedmaster 6lb / 12lb, but I am about to get my new Alba (UK rated) 6lb class which should take over from it.

I have actually been mid channel wrecking with 4lb line for a giggle and managed many fish well into double figures.

We have also used kids tiny little spinning rods (the ones that are about 3 feet long and like a toothpick) Congering and managed snakes to 50lb.
None of it is serious fishing, but it is great fun!

Hoping to use the 6lb class for Blue Shark this Summer on White Waters, but extreme light tackle fishing should only be carried out by experienced anglers otheriwse the fish can suffer badly as a result.

Tom

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
My standard Pollack rod is a Speedmaster 6lb / 12lb, but I am about to get my new Alba (UK rated) 6lb class which should take over from it.

I have actually been mid channel wrecking with 4lb line for a giggle and managed many fish well into double figures.

We have also used kids tiny little spinning rods (the ones that are about 3 feet long and like a toothpick) Congering and managed snakes to 50lb.
None of it is serious fishing, but it is great fun!

Hoping to use the 6lb class for Blue Shark this Summer on White Waters, but extreme light tackle fishing should only be carried out by experienced anglers otheriwse the fish can suffer badly as a result.

Tom

"Hoping to use the 6lb class for Blue Shark this Summer on White Waters, but extreme light tackle fishing should only be carried out by experienced anglers otheriwse the fish can suffer badly as a result"
that is iespecially true for Blue Shark.
They are easy on light tackle, but you can get a "stalemate" situation on really light takcle where the shark is not running, but you can't pump it back because of the sheer inertia (mass) plus the effects of wind or current; if that goes on for more than a few seconds, it is pretty likely the blue will spin and roll itself up in the trace (until the reel line reaches its skin)

If the skipper is happy to fire up and chase it (well, hardly a chase - slow walking speed is enough) it will probably swim when there is almost no pressure on it at all (less than 1lb of drag) meanwhile you can retrieve line as you approach it.

If you are a beginner with really light tackle, and are not worried by IGFA records, you may be wise to have about 100 feet of 30lb line between the trace and your light line, so when you get close again you can apply enough pressure to pump it.
Or enough to make it run off, fast (rather than wallow and spin). Just be sure the 30lb-to-reel line knot is 100% and that it doesn't stop your float/baloon sliding past (if you use a sliding one).

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks good point lads. I dont target the real heavyweights on this gear, mainly just good sized pollack and wrasse from the shallower reefs and close to the rocks. i usually use an uptider for tope and ray, however i do fancy trying a carp rod, uptide style for them this year hopefully. I think if i ever was in a stalemate i would cut the line as its kindest to the fish, for me its the thrill of the fight and not killing the fish which matters.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts