World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These have been out a fair while now, quite liked the originals. Anyone used use for shore fishing?, possibly going to get one and have it magged. Look forward to hearing people's thoughts. (y)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Ive been fishing one solidly for about 9 months. I am located in Australia and mostly fish mixed to rough ground rock marks and have taken fish with it fish ranging from 2 - 20lb.
Generally I'm pretty happy with the reel. Its solidly built and smooth, but was slow out of the box. a good clean freed it up and a tunable static mag got her back in control. she casts well, but not as well as my fathoms or saltists, but enough to get into the fish in the areas I target (baits in the 90-130m range). I actually tune this reel a little slower than a lot of my other multis and fish 50lb braid, 9m of 0.65mm shocky and a rottom bottom, and have cut my tackle losses right down.
The drag is smooth but max drag is a ways off the advertised figures. Even after a clean and relube, the max drag is still low.
As im a lefty and cast reel down, the spool release knob is in a ***** of a spot and In the early days I had a lot of issues with knocking the reel into gear during the cast. A change of grip has all but remedied that. but I still may take to modifying the lever one of these days
I personally prefer the saltist 18 as a reel, but the torium (at least in aus) is 2/3 the price, and for that money it is a great little reel.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I should have also mentioned that they sit a bit higher and the spool is a bit narrower than the old model. But I have decent sized hands and have no issue getting a good grasp of the spool, but this may be a concern for people with small hands and large diameter rods.

·
Registered
8,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I should have also mentioned that they sit a bit higher and the spool is a bit narrower than the old model. But I have decent sized hands and have no issue getting a good grasp of the spool, but this may be a concern for people with small hands and large diameter rods.
Thank you for your great replays, very helpful indeed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts