World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right, can't make my mind up so I'm after a nudge in the right direction. I'm currently using a Okuma Epic Pro 40 and albeit its a nice reel I do on numerous occasions suffer from wind-knots and these are getting the better of me. I have noticed the line lay is never consistant on this reel.

Is the twin power 4000fc worth the extra money over the technium 4000fb. I've read every post on this reel (I think) and have only heard praise about the tp and the thing thats putting me off the technium is the braid cutting into the bail arm roller area that Mick pointed out in one of his posts.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Just a thought before you spend money on aa new reel, make sure you have your reel underfilled with the braid this will stop wind knots. if you fill to the brim with braid as you would with mono you find that the braid will pull off extra turns so making a wind knot. this will happen with any reel however much it costs. hope this helps could save you some money lol

·
Registered
732 Posts
Just a thought before you spend money on a new reel, make sure you have your reel underfilled with the braid this will stop wind knots. if you fill to the brim with braid as you would with mono you find that the braid will pull off extra turns so making a wind knot. this will happen with any reel however much it costs. hope this helps could save you some money lol

·
Registered
729 Posts
I wouldn't doubt Mick for a minute...you can trust his advice, I shouldn't think there's many reels that he hasn't had the opportunity to try.

You don't mention what brand of braid you are using - they are not all suitable for lure fishing...?

·
Registered
732 Posts
Ok it was just a thought. I use the same reel as you are using at the mo, and have never had any trouble with braid. I use the Wichwood yellow floating braid in 20lb. Its thicker than most braids maybe this has something to do with it, but thats just a thought or a guess more like lol

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The braid is Fireline 20lb. I've got so much of mono backing on and the rest is fireline with 2-3ft of flouro leader.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Strange I use Fireline 20lb too and never have a problem...:huh:

Do you close the bail arm manually or let the reel close it as you start winding...?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Strange I use Fireline 20lb too and never have a problem...:huh:

Do you close the bail arm manually or let the reel close it as you start winding...?
I always close it by hand. I keep on browsing the tp on the net £208 smackers....:nono:

·
Registered
729 Posts
After I cast, I close it manually then swing the rod round to one side to take up any slack between the rod and lure...only then do I start to work the lure back...never had a problem...:giveup:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts