World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shimano Twin Power XD C3000 HG or Shimano Vanquish C3000 HG.
Can't decide which is better overall. Which do you think is best? Are there any better alternatives?
Vanquish seems lighter and smoother, but is it as durable and resistant to saltwater conditions?
Main use will be lure fishing for bass and a light reel for abroad.
Cheers.

·
Registered
16,985 Posts
Interesting question. Iv just bought the Vanquish in the 2000 size but haven't had a cast yet. To be honest the only reason I bought it was the weight. 160 grams and Iv never came across anything lighter although the Stardic C14 is also 160 at less than half the price. I'll be interested in everyone's thoughts. I bought a Daiwa Luvias 3000 size last year and love it. Is any reel actually salt proof I very much doubt it and reading Henry Gilbys posts he thinks the same.

·
Banned
5,509 Posts
Take a look at this http://www.alanhawk.com/reviews/lists.html
Some reels are waterproof and made for salt water fishing.For example
the Shimano Stella range of SW reels,but they are expensive.There are
many cheaper alternitives like the Daiwa BG-Shimano Spheros etc etc.
Read Allan Hawkes reviews of these reels before decieding.Forget the Twinpower
its not worth the money,its just a very downgraded Stella.Mr Gilby knows
as much about fishing reels as i do about nuclear science.
PS.Take a look at this https://www.tackleuk.co.uk/Shop/ReelsFrontDragReels/Daiwa-BG-Spinning-Reels.htm
Better quality than reels costing 3 times as much and the biggest gears in any reel made today.
And its made for salt water

·
Registered
16,985 Posts
Rodney I don't know for the life of me why you keep coming on here and being derogatory to others. Henry Gilbys gets reels donated by companies then smashes the life out of them for a season then gives an in biased review. If Henry knows nothing about reels then none of us do. You harp on about Alan hawk like your a relative or a lover one of the two. Give it a rest man and grow up. Most reels regardless of price are not really up to salt water if used on a regular basis but luckily most angles never really get out fishing as often as they like

·
Banned
5,509 Posts
Rodney I don't know for the life of me why you keep coming on here and being derogatory to others. Henry Gilbys gets reels donated by companies then smashes the life out of them for a season then gives an in biased review. If Henry knows nothing about reels then none of us do. You harp on about Alan hawk like your a relative or a lover one of the two. Give it a rest man and grow up. Most reels regardless of price are not really up to salt water if used on a regular basis but luckily most angles never really get out fishing as often as they like
Mikey nothing you have said so far,is anything i can take seriously.Allan Hawke is one of the few truly independent reviewers we have in this world.Even shimano or Daiwa modify the faults he finds in their reels.
I do think they take anything seriously from our Henry.When did you last see our Henry take a reel apart
and tell us what its made of? I am not in any way being derogatary to anyone on this site.I just try to point
people in a serious direction through the jungle of fishing gear.Your remarks about being Allan Hawkes
lover,are the remarks of someone who resorts to this kind of thing,because you have not got a valid point
to make.Mr Gilby is in the bloody pocket of half the brands in the UK,and most intelligent people
realised this years ago.And i do like your bit about about they donate reels to him:BigGrin: I suggest you
read more from Allan,or send him a Mail,he is a nice guy and he will answer any questions you
have about reels.Try reading about his background,and you will find out that AH is just about the
best qualified reviewer of fishing reels in the world.He is respected on fishing sites from Australia-
Africa-USA etc etc.No one gives this guy free gear to test,he buys it himself! And he does not
endorse products like our Henry does.Do yourself a favour Mikey,research a bit more before
writing.Lots of reels today are built purposly for salt water use ,and indeed many fixed spool
reels are completly water proof.Why do you think they are not?Please give us your qualified
opinion,without personal attacks.

·
Registered
16,985 Posts
Mikey nothing you have said so far,is anything i can take seriously.Allan Hawke is one of the few truly independent reviewers we have in this world.Even shimano or Daiwa modify the faults he finds in their reels.
I do think they take anything seriously from our Henry.When did you last see our Henry take a reel apart
and tell us what its made of? I am not in any way being derogatary to anyone on this site.I just try to point
people in a serious direction through the jungle of fishing gear.Your remarks about being Allan Hawkes
lover,are the remarks of someone who resorts to this kind of thing,because you have not got a valid point
to make.Mr Gilby is in the bloody pocket of half the brands in the UK,and most intelligent people
realised this years ago.And i do like your bit about about they donate reels to him:BigGrin: I suggest you
read more from Allan,or send him a Mail,he is a nice guy and he will answer any questions you
have about reels.Try reading about his background,and you will find out that AH is just about the
best qualified reviewer of fishing reels in the world.He is respected on fishing sites from Australia-
Africa-USA etc etc.No one gives this guy free gear to test,he buys it himself! And he does not
endorse products like our Henry does.Do yourself a favour Mikey,research a bit more before
writing.Lots of reels today are built purposly for salt water use ,and indeed many fixed spool
reels are completly water proof.Why do you think they are not?Please give us your qualified
opinion,without personal attacks.
Blah blah blah your boring m8 you keep banging the same drum.

·
Registered
16,985 Posts
Very serious reply Mikey,fits in well with most things you say:)
Rodney what is your problem? Honestly all you ever do is cause controversy. The Op never asked for your scientific opinion he asked twin power or Vanquish if you have nothing to add then keep it shut. The guy wants an opinion on two reels neither you have.

·
Banned
5,509 Posts
Rodney what is your problem? Honestly all you ever do is cause controversy. The Op never asked for your scientific opinion he asked twin power or Vanquish if you have nothing to add then keep it shut. The guy wants an opinion on two reels neither you have.
If you call controversy disagreing with almost everthing you write,then i plead guilty.I have tried both the reels you mention,but would never try to give a qualified opinion about value for money longtivity etc etc.I would
instead refere to someone like Allan Hawke who is more qualified than me in this field.I could like our Henry
say that it casts well,and is therefore a great reel to spend your money on.But i am thank god not like Henry,
indeed i spend my life trying not to be like guys like Henry.Like you say he asked about these reels and i
gave him my opinion.Its always down to him what he buys.Because we all have the right to give our opinions
on this site.I would never make any personal remarks about anyone giving a honest opinion.Try to remember that Mikey.

·
Registered
16,985 Posts
If you call controversy disagreing with almost everthing you write,then i plead guilty.I have tried both the reels you mention,but would never try to give a qualified opinion about value for money longtivity etc etc.I would
instead refere to someone like Allan Hawke who is more qualified than me in this field.I could like our Henry
say that it casts well,and is therefore a great reel to spend your money on.But i am thank god not like Henry,
indeed i spend my life trying not to be like guys like Henry.Like you say he asked about these reels and i
gave him my opinion.Its always down to him what he buys.Because we all have the right to give our opinions
on this site.I would never make any personal remarks about anyone giving a honest opinion.Try to remember that Mikey.
I'm not saying your not giving a personal opinion but your taking the post off track. The guy has asked for an opinion on two reels. Do you have an opinion on these reels ? Do you have one ? Or are you quoting someone else ? It's not helping

·
Banned
5,509 Posts
I'm not saying your not giving a personal opinion but your taking the post off track. The guy has asked for an opinion on two reels. Do you have an opinion on these reels ? Do you have one ? Or are you quoting someone else ? It's not helping
I disagree the guy wants a reel for spinning in salt Water.You tell him they do not exist!
Let him read this http://www.alanhawk.com/blog/wr17.html
Then let him make up his own mind about what to buy.One qualified opinion is worth
more than a thousand unqualified.I could have said the Twinpower is a great reel for
casting,and it is! But i would be doing him no favours if i did not point him in the
direction of better and cheaper reels.The Twinpower is really a downgraded Stella
and it costs far to much for what it is .I could also suggest he looks at the Daiwa Certate,
but it is also expensive,and it has magnetic oil in it.This means you can forget about
servicing it your self.I prefere to point people in the right direction and let them
make up their own mind.I am not here to sell reels or any other fishing gear.
I just like to help people if i can,its that bloody simple Mikey.
PS.If you read the first post again,you will see that he asked about other reels he could use.

·
Registered
7,960 Posts
I disagree the guy wants a reel for spinning in salt Water.You tell him they do not exist!
Let him read this http://www.alanhawk.com/blog/wr17.html
Then let him make up his own mind about what to buy.One qualified opinion is worth
more than a thousand unqualified.I could have said the Twinpower is a great reel for
casting,and it is! But i would be doing him no favours if i did not point him in the
direction of better and cheaper reels.The Twinpower is really a downgraded Stella
and it costs far to much for what it is .I could also suggest he looks at the Daiwa Certate,
but it is also expensive,and it has magnetic oil in it.This means you can forget about
servicing it your self.I prefere to point people in the right direction and let them
make up their own mind.I am not here to sell reels or any other fishing gear.
I just like to help people if i can,its that bloody simple Mikey.
PS.If you read the first post again,you will see that he asked about other reels he could use.
I'd have to strongly disagree. Honest opinions of "normal" users of gear are VERY useful and to suggest that engineers are the only people who can tell you how a reel has performed or what problems have occurred is utter rubbish! You don't need a degree in engineering to use a fishing reel and know if it has performed and lasted okay.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I agree with blakdog, also Alan Hawk seems to review saltwater reels over spinning reels. The link you showed me Rodney showed the Twin Power SW version which Alan didn't like. Not the XD model.
The only thing currently pushing towards the Twin Power is that it has Xprotect providing better protection from water intrusion and it has a stronger design (which I will doubt will effect most of my uses). Does the Vanquish have such protection. It states it has Coreprotect. Is that in effect the same or will it not cope as well in saltwater use?

·
Banned
5,509 Posts
I'd have to strongly disagree. Honest opinions of "normal" users of gear are VERY useful and to suggest that engineers are the only people who can tell you how a reel has performed or what problems have occurred is utter rubbish! You don't need a degree in engineering to use a fishing reel and know if it has performed and lasted okay.
Could not agree more,engineers are not the only people to judge fishing reels.And views from normal
fishermen are important.As they say, things should pass the test of time.But it is nice to know about
any weakness in a reel before you buy it.And if you or anyone else try to Google a review of almost
any fishing gear,you will get some tame well known fisherman who has had a few chucks of a reel,telling
you its the best thing since sliced bread.And how many reviews have you ever read where a reel is
reviewed after a few years in the field? Not many i bet! If you and others want to take these reviews
seriously,thats up to you.I respect the views on this site from a few people who judge reels or
other tackle after years of use.I am not interested in reviews from people who have anything at
all to do with the tackle trade.Thats like putting the fox in the chicken coop.They might know
how many bits of tackle get returned because of bad quality,but they sure as hell do not mention
it if they are sitting in with loads of the crap.Not that i want to tar everyone with the same brush,
but it is very very difficult today for people to find a bit of honesty on the net.I know dealers who
will tell me the truth about gear because they know me,but everyone else is fair game:)

·
Registered
7,960 Posts
Could not agree more,engineers are not the only people to judge fishing reels.And views from normal
fishermen are important.As they say, things should pass the test of time.But it is nice to know about
any weakness in a reel before you buy it.And if you or anyone else try to Google a review of almost
any fishing gear,you will get some tame well known fisherman who has had a few chucks of a reel,telling
you its the best thing since sliced bread.And how many reviews have you ever read where a reel is
reviewed after a few years in the field? Not many i bet! If you and others want to take these reviews
seriously,thats up to you.I respect the views on this site from a few people who judge reels or
other tackle after years of use.I am not interested in reviews from people who have anything at
all to do with the tackle trade.Thats like putting the fox in the chicken coop.They might know
how many bits of tackle get returned because of bad quality,but they sure as hell do not mention
it if they are sitting in with loads of the crap.Not that i want to tar everyone with the same brush,
but it is very very difficult today for people to find a bit of honesty on the net.I know dealers who
will tell me the truth about gear because they know me,but everyone else is fair game:)
Given that most models are changed annually it is actually very difficult to buy a reel that base a review based on a few years use these days. Fixing reels for a full time living means I don't generally need to look any further than my work bench or one of my counterparts for a genuine opinion on a reel ..... not that I would disregard what Henry Gilbey has to say about a reel he has used for a while, his reels seem to spend most of their time is salt water and he fishes a lot compared with most of us ... so they get a fair test I suspect.

As he is a member of the forum he may add to the discussion possibly.

·
Banned
5,509 Posts
I agree with blakdog, also Alan Hawk seems to review saltwater reels over spinning reels. The link you showed me Rodney showed the Twin Power SW version which Alan didn't like. Not the XD model.
The only thing currently pushing towards the Twin Power is that it has Xprotect providing better protection from water intrusion and it has a stronger design (which I will doubt will effect most of my uses). Does the Vanquish have such protection. It states it has Coreprotect. Is that in effect the same or will it not cope as well in saltwater use?
Allan Hawke is starting next year to do reviews on spinning reels.He has so far
concentrated on salt water reels.If he has a limitation,in my opinion,it is his lack of
knowledge about surfcasting reels English style.I hope one day he will work together with
a top surfcaster.But he is at this moment about the only guy who really tells whats inside
many of the reels we buy.The Daiwa certate has far superior water resistance than the Twinpower,
because of the magnetic oil.I have tried both reels,and the Certate is the easiest winding reel
i have ever used,it even beats my Stella and Saltiga reels.Just give it a few turns and you
will see what i mean,its magic.The vanquish has no where near the same protection,and
is in my humble opinion not a reel i would use in saltwater.In the USA where Allan comes
from they tend to judge saltwater reels differently than you do in England.They go out into the
surf and the reels are virtually swamped with seawater.Its the same to a lesser degree
here in Denmark.But having said this,lots and lots of surf spin fishermen use freshwater
designed reels,and have been doing so for years.Its really only i recent years brands
have been making spinn reels with waterproof cases and saltwater resistence parts.
There are so many choices,one reel is easy winding,one reel is built to last,one reel
has got a better line lay,etc et etc.It comes down to what you like best.In the price
class you are looking at you will not get a bad reel what ever you chose.

·
Banned
5,509 Posts
Given that most models are changed annually it is actually very difficult to buy a reel that base a review based on a few years use these days. Fixing reels for a full time living means I don't generally need to look any further than my work bench or one of my counterparts for a genuine opinion on a reel ..... not that I would disregard what Henry Gilbey has to say about a reel he has used for a while, his reels seem to spend most of their time is salt water and he fishes a lot compared with most of us ... so they get a fair test I suspect.

As he is a member of the forum he may add to the discussion possibly.
You are bloody right about reels getting changed every five minutes:)
But i bet you also know that most new models are basicly the same
as the old inside.:BigGrin::BigGrin::BigGrin: Maybe i am a bit hard on Henry,i used to read him a lot.
But i am sure he understands just how hard it is to get a unbiased review today.
And i bet you also read a load of bull about fishing gear,its good we get many
different points of view on a site like this.In the end its up to the reader to
decide what to buy.You help people to make a choice,and i respect that
even if we do not agree.I am absolutly sure you do not write on this site
just to promote yourself.

·
Registered
7,960 Posts
You are bloody right about reels getting changed every five minutes:)
But i bet you also know that most new models are basicly the same
as the old inside.:BigGrin::BigGrin::BigGrin:
When you look inside they are rarely the same .... a simple change of material in a small component can bring an otherwise good reel crashing down and these minor changes are so common that they will often happen numerous times on the same model.

Shimano have instigated some very subtle changes across some of their models in recent years and it is already starting to show as an issue at service time .... tiny components which make a big difference. That is something Mr Hawk is very big on as well.

·
Registered
16,985 Posts
When you look inside they are rarely the same .... a simple change of material in a small component can bring an otherwise good reel crashing down and these minor changes are so common that they will often happen numerous times on the same model.

Shimano have instigated some very subtle changes across some of their models in recent years and it is already starting to show as an issue at service time .... tiny components which make a big difference. That is something Mr Hawk is very big on as well.
What's your thoughts on Daiwa's Magnetic Grease ?

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
knowledge about surfcasting reels English style.I hope one day he will work together with
a top surfcaster
Agree there Rodney about is lack knowledge on surfcasting reels for the uk. If he reads this he,s welcome to PM me for any advice . :):BigGrin::p:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts