World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have been using my Vengence for 2 years now. It is a great rod for off the ground casting and you can actually bend it if your not a tournament caster.
Bite detection is superb and teamed up with a Akios 656ctm i can get as much distance as my Conoflex slr/ 7ht mag combo. The finish of the rod is also good and despite taking a good hammering over the last couple of years still looks great.
If there is a downside to this superb rod it is a bit floppy if your fishing in a big swell making bite detection a bit difficult, but for under £100 i can't reccomend this rod enough.

·
Now in Littlehampton
3,474 Posts
I'd agree with the article but it only touches on the Vengences biggest problem which is reel seats:

The Multi version is movable but the reel seat is very bulky and the butt isn't slim which would be fine if the reel seat was slim but the combo definitely isn't for small hands imo and I'd be changing the real seat if I had one despite having fairly long hands.

The FS version has a much better slimmer reel seat but in common with many fixed in position real seats on FS rods it's far too high up the rod, 4" higher than I position a Multiplier making it hard to bring across your body and again I've got longer than average arms being 6'3". Maybe it's me that's missing something in the positioning of FS reel seats as I don't cast with FS very often and this isn't the only rod with a high FS reel seat in the same position.

Personally I prefer the Penn Powerstick pro 13ft (to be replaced with a rebranded/styled version for 2013) which is light, bendable and easy to use with a FS (or multi) because the fixed reel seat is imo in the right place or the TFG Delta which has a slim movable reel seat in both FS and multi versions but this is a far more powerful and much faster actioned rod that not all beginners will get the best out of.
These come with limited or no experience but other rods to look out in the sub 100 bracket for would be the Rovex Big Boss range, the new (2013) Icon range from Leeda (different from the current Icon range which is in a different price bracket), Daiwa Seahunter range and possibly the new 2013 Shakespeare Agility range since it looks like they've gone back to ordinary ferrules with this range after the ones on the Salt Extreme range didn't seem to find favour. Tbh I doubt any of these rods could be described as poor and I suspect they're all very good for the money but if you try to have a feel of at least a couple of these in a shop (and hopefully 3 or 4) you might find that one stands out from the crowd as feeling right for you. You obviously won't be able to do this if you buy online.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Thanks for the replies everyone, its good to get different reviews on the same piece of kit
i suppose the next reply should be for £150/£200 you could get the .....:yeah:
(what you recommend for the next price range?)

Regards
Winchesterclub

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'd agree with the article but it only touches on the Vengences biggest problem which is reel seats:

The Multi version is movable but the reel seat is very bulky and the butt isn't slim which would be fine if the reel seat was slim but the combo definitely isn't for small hands imo and I'd be changing the real seat if I had one despite having fairly long hands.

The FS version has a much better slimmer reel seat but in common with many fixed in position real seats on FS rods it's far too high up the rod, 4" higher than I position a Multiplier making it hard to bring across your body and again I've got longer than average arms being 6'3". Maybe it's me that's missing something in the positioning of FS reel seats as I don't cast with FS very often and this isn't the only rod with a high FS reel seat in the same position.

Personally I prefer the Penn Powerstick pro 13ft (to be replaced with a rebranded/styled version for 2013) which is light, bendable and easy to use with a FS (or multi) because the fixed reel seat is imo in the right place or the TFG Delta which has a slim movable reel seat in both FS and multi versions but this is a far more powerful and much faster actioned rod that not all beginners will get the best out of.
These come with limited or no experience but other rods to look out in the sub 100 bracket for would be the Rovex Big Boss range, the new (2013) Icon range from Leeda (different from the current Icon range which is in a different price bracket), Daiwa Seahunter range and possibly the new 2013 Shakespeare Agility range since it looks like they've gone back to ordinary ferrules with this range after the ones on the Salt Extreme range didn't seem to find favour. Tbh I doubt any of these rods could be described as poor and I suspect they're all very good for the money but if you try to have a feel of at least a couple of these in a shop (and hopefully 3 or 4) you might find that one stands out from the crowd as feeling right for you. You obviously won't be able to do this if you buy online.
Thanks for taking the time to give your advice. It's really appreciated.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have been using my Vengence for 2 years now. It is a great rod for off the ground casting and you can actually bend it if your not a tournament caster.
Bite detection is superb and teamed up with a Akios 656ctm i can get as much distance as my Conoflex slr/ 7ht mag combo. The finish of the rod is also good and despite taking a good hammering over the last couple of years still looks great.
If there is a downside to this superb rod it is a bit floppy if your fishing in a big swell making bite detection a bit difficult, but for under £100 i can't reccomend this rod enough.
Thanks for your feedback. I struggle with bite detection as I think everything is a bite. Lol! Could be a fun rod for me.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Just found the rod at this price ! :wiggle:

http://www.poingdestres.co.uk/4835/Shimano-Vengeance-Surf-Beach-Rods.html

Could of made my mind up :help:,
I think its a toss up between this one the TFG Delta & i saw a new Shimano Neaxe rod in this months Sea Angler magazine that got a good review !
I think i would to team it up with the Shimano Aerlex i have one at the minute and had no problems with it so far , its been very kind to a beginner like me

Thanks everyone

Winchesterclub

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just found the rod at this price ! :wiggle:

http://www.poingdestres.co.uk/4835/Shimano-Vengeance-Surf-Beach-Rods.html

Could of made my mind up :help:,
I think its a toss up between this one the TFG Delta & i saw a new Shimano Neaxe rod in this months Sea Angler magazine that got a good review !
I think i would to team it up with the Shimano Aerlex i have one at the minute and had no problems with it so far , its been very kind to a beginner like me

Thanks everyone

Winchesterclub
If you get the rod, please let me know how you get on with it? I won't be looking at one for about a month. That's a bargain price, so I'll check them out when I'm ready.

Thanks for sharing.

Enjoy
Jon

·
Registered
343 Posts
thanks Jon
although i wasn't going to get a new rod till nearer Xmas this may too good a deal miss out on !
i will keep you posted on how things pan out

Cheers

winchesterclub

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
thanks Jon
although i wasn't going to get a new rod till nearer Xmas this may too good a deal miss out on !
i will keep you posted on how things pan out

Cheers

winchesterclub
I'm swaying towards the tfg delta at the moment. This rod is getting lots of praise in the forums. It's not a lot more money either.

·
Registered
845 Posts

I have to agree with Portslade comments. The problem i have found with the F/S models is that i have had a few returned to me because the reel seat has come unstuck other than that there OK.
For the money i would recommend the TFG DELTA at £99.00. Again another well built all rounder rod 4oz to 8oz with a very good feedback from site members. If they were no good i wouldn't have bought 2 Delta's and 2 Force 8 rods and i have just ordered 2 more for my son's. Plus the blanks are made in the UK.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I'm swaying towards the tfg delta at the moment. This rod is getting lots of praise in the forums. It's not a lot more money either.
Hi Jon
funny i sent selseybilly a few PM"s and he sent me some great replies about choosing a new rod, and he couldn't praise the TFG enough and speaking to him at length he has a long history in the fishing trade and speaks as he finds :clap3:and knows his stuff!
Funnily enough I logged on tonight to send you a message about getting a TFG instead of the Vengeance
PM Selsey he always seem happy to talk about products you ask about
(mind you i would still like to hear some reviews about the new shimano nevaxe)
Cheers mate

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.