World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend and I are going fishing at Loe Bar in Cornwall tonight. It is a Steep shelved long shingle beach.

What fish should we be looking to catch and what bait would people advise to use. And any tactics would be helpful i.e. casting distance etc.

Thanks

Vaughan

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thxs for the advice. I have lived near Penzance all my life and hear of these accidents every year, I only wish many of these people had been given the same advice (or listened to it!!). I surf, rockclimb, dive and fish (mainly for bass on the North Coast), so am aware and will of course be very careful.

So, now the safety is out of the way, what type of fish do you think?

Cheers

V

·
Registered
54 Posts
Your guess is a good as mine mate, I'm from penzance originally but live and fish solent area now.

Large bass still showing here I'd target them if I were you, large mackerel and squid baits. Pollock may be a good bet.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers stinky. Looks like I will give the bass a go here, Sennen Cove has been fishing great recently but dying off now. Hope for some action tonight. Will give large mackerel and squid baits a go with some rag. Thanks V

M

·
0 Posts
Hi mate,
i have fished loe bar no end of times. I would honestly say that fishing around low water is the best time but DO NOT go anywhere near this beach with any sort of a SW blow.The waves look small but pick up big close in and crash up the beach big time. As to what you are likely to catch,i would say doggies,pollack,whiting,odd ray even,bass and just about anything you can expect at this time of year.
If there was one beach i was able to fish it would be this one,followed closely by praa sands. I travel from Leicester to fish this area and love these beaches to death. Best of luck and have a good one

Cheers Karl

·
Registered
54 Posts
Tight lines mate, Let us know what ya get. I visit occasionally to see the old man and try to get some fishin in at the same time.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Lovely night for fishing down at Loe Bar.

Arrived at 6 and stayed till 1am. Bites all night mainly from tiddlers and some large Pollack but took home three keepers: 1 bass at 4 lb (caught just after low tide) and two large whiting around 2 lb. Using mix of Rag, Mackerel and Sandeel (couldn't get any squid).

Entertaining evening will be going back on the weekend and many more times this winter :)

Cheers for all your advice Karl and stinky.

M

·
0 Posts
Good to hear you did well. Great beach isn't it. Where did you fish,the best area i have found is in front of the white cross that is up on the cliff.
cheers Karl

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes great beach. Fished on the other side of the lake from the white cross (i.e. closer to Porthleven) below the lovely little National Trust House with the roof garden. There was a chap below the white cross, but too far to walk to see how he was doing, but judging by his quiet headlight he did not have much luck.

Will be going below the white cross tonight as I can drive down to the beach that side and save my tired legs. Will let you know how I get on.

Cheers V

1 - 10 of 10 Posts