World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
The Cod Obsessed one.
15,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
FOR THOSE WHO HAVE BEEN STRUGGLING TO CATCH A COD OVER THE PAST 3 EASY SEASONS

Dont know if anyone wants this as a sticky but here goes.

Last winter I received a lot of PMs regarding cod fishing and they have allready started again this year, so rather than replying to each one individually (Which I dont mind, its a huge compliment to be sought out for advice) I thought I post everything here in one go.

This is aimed more at novice/newbie/hapless anglers rather than the hardcore amoungst us, but if you want to contribute USEFULL INFORMATION please do. I am in no way a pro or expert, but I do get asked quite often for info.

FAQ
Where to go/tide state/tide size/weather.

First off is Denge Marsh. I like to fish denge on the big spring tides, fishing it all the way from low, to the top and back down again, with peak times the first two hours of the flood and the last three hours of the ebb. But I have caught cod at all states of the tide here.
Weather wise, I like to fish with the wind in my face (Looking out to sea) or the wind coming slightly from the right. The sea needs to be rough and the water a nice chocolate colour. The best nights Ive had down there are when I have to fish on top of the shingle bank to avoid being swept away!!

Dungeness. From the switch house, down the power station and to the coast guard tower is the same as Denge Marsh.

Coast guards to the board walk. Ideally fish here on the mid sized tides fishing up to high and a few hours down, again the sea needs to be rough!

The Point!! Only fish on the Neap tides. Last three hours of the Ebb, first couple of the flood. Again, I like the sea to be rough or dropping off just after a storm.

The boats. I fish here when the other marks are too rough to fish I.e. In a huge Westerly or southerly gale, and have allways caught lots more on a flood tide. Once the tide starts to ebb, its time to go home, or move to our next venue!

Hythe.
Hythe can be your get out of jail card when RWOD (thats red weed of death) or weather makes dungi unfishable.
Ill usually plan to get to hythe (Fishermans Beach)(Thats by the boats!) for High water and fish it all the way down, and sometimes the first couple of hours of the flood if im feeling lucky!

The last venue is Princess Parade Hythe, and I fish the first three hours of the flood, again with a big sea running, preferably on a big spring tide.

Bait.
First choice has got to be fresh Yellow tail lug.
Then fresh wrapped blacks
then fresh frozen wrapped black lug.
Other good baits to try are baby cuttle fish or unwashed squid stuffed with lug.
Its worth noteing that after a storm, shellfish works well, queen cockels, razors etc.

Rigs.
If you are serious about catching a Codling or better yet a Cod it is best to stick to a pennel rig.

I use sakuma manta extra hooks rangeing from size 2/0 for smallish worm baits up to 8/0s for a baby cuttlefish.

I know a lot has been written in the sea angling magazines about no need for massive hooks etc etc, but im just telling you what I and other good cod fisherman use.

Also, Cod are not line shy, I never use less than 40Lb hook snoods.

Leads.
Please, please, please make sure that you use the appropiate lead for the conditions!
A 5oz breakaway is no good for a dungi spring tide!
You need to be thinking 6,7 and 8oz's and sometimes fixed wires to cope in extreeme conditions.
Also, an 8oz lead will punch its way into a head wind a lot better than a 6!!

Casting.
Distance is not allways important, but it helps.
Go on, treat yourself to some lessons, I did, and it was a real eye opener. Im now getting twice as far with a quater of the effort!

AS a generall rule, fish big baits, into a big sea with the wind at your face and youll be well on your way to catching a cod.
Fishing at night will greatly improve your chances, so treat yourself to a good head lamp and maybe a good pressere lantern as well.
The more horrific the conditions, the greater chance you have, so dress for the occasion. Nothing dampens the spirits quicker than being wet and cold!

Hope this post will help you put some fish on the beach this winter.

Happy fishing, Shirley Codlin.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
nice bit of info shirl couldnt agree more and will add

when you get there and think its too rough to fish thats when to fish it but remember stay well away from the water as the waves come a lot higher up the beach!!!!!! dont worry about distance coz the fish come in a lot closer

your bait can never be too big i quite often fish with 4 or more whole lug tipped with a WHOLE squid just make sure your your rod can cast the weight 1st!!!!

see you all down dungie soon:fishing1::fishing1::fishing1:

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Just what us relative newcomers want and need.

Well done and thanks.

By the way I think this should be a sticky.

:notworthy:notworthy:notworthy:notworthy:notworthy

·
Registered
26,846 Posts
Many thanks for the info shirl. I really intend to have a go at the dungie cod this winter and that's the stuff I needed to know. I may even leave a few cod for you.:whistling

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
Good post Shirls, -would add this myself though- 1)-in rough or weedy conditions , always double the length of your leader, no good trying to get the crap off the leader knot if the fish of a lifetime is rolling around in the surf 2)- Take a gaff!!! see note 1 !! (and to all the 'release everything' club who dont believe in that sort of thing i will just say this- dont bother coming on here telling us about the bugger that broke you up in the surf and got away -cos you killed it anyway!!!).

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
good info shirl , just want to add try a smaller hook and bait on the first pennel hook and size 5 /o on the outher for live baiting a whiting , and try and buy the dvd dungeness magic cod , and your right about lessons mate , had lessons with john french then got hooked on tourny casting till i broke my ribs , but will be hitting the beach hard this year

tight lines everyone

john

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
Have to disagree with some of that shirl. My best cod catches have been in calm weather, my biggest shore cod at Hythe (20lb) it was dead calm and one and a half hours after high.

I never use lug, only big fish or squid baits and mussels. The big one was caught on predator mackerel with added fish oils and squid 30 yds out, fishing the bottom of the shingle bank, at 2.30 am, spring tide.
I think the type of tide, the time of day, and month are more relevent than fishing into the teeth of a gale, not very productive in my experience, just after a gale being better.
Don't think that it's ever too calm for cod fishing, big mistake!
My brother caught over 100lb of cod off dungie beach in 4 hours on a calm frosty starry night. Average weight 8lbs per fish.
So, we all have our own experiences and methods, I think experimenting is the most interesting thing about angling, and you soon learn that there is no certain method that works, but learning is fun.
Now I catch them on a kayak

·
Registered
143 Posts
Interesting point yakker makes, mostly I agree with Shirl - coloured sea, on-shore blow, big lug baits etc. but given that big bass are taken every year under calm conditions close in at night on live baits & big fish or squid baits during October/November and cod take live baits well, then it seems reasonable that in calm conditions the best bet for cod might well be the same method?

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.