World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,
After your kindness in answering an earlier question I thought I'd try my luck again.
I understand the value of using shock leaders and the recommended strength. My question is this:
If my memory of my freshwater fishing days is correct the weakest part of the set up is the knot (80-90%?). Hence, should I have an overstrength leader such that a properly tied knot would not fail until the recommended strength (say 6o lb for 6 oz weight) is reached?
What knots would you recommend? I can tie a blood knot and a grinner knot but that's it so far.
Before my lack of expertise causes panic amongst you let me say that, so far, my best cast is only about 50 yards and that with the lead travelling in a lazy arc trailing loads of loose line behind it!!
Thanks in anticipation,

B

·
0 Posts
go on to total sea fishing.com.. look up ultima knot clinic.. i only use the spiders hitch now after being shown how to do it.. very strong knot..

·
Registered
563 Posts
And remember that the knot is not taking the strain of casting. There should be enough turns round the spool to do that.

·
Registered
88 Posts
the weakest part of the set up is the knot (80-90%?).
The Bimini Twist will give you > 100% knot strength as you have doubled the line over for the knot.

I have never had one of these break at the knot - always the mainline away from the knot.

You'll have fun practicing tying it though, can be complicated to get to grips with.

·
Registered
223 Posts
albright for me to, easy to tie, strong also if done right is a small knot you wont even feel it going through the rings

·
Registered
57 Posts
just done the albright for the first time wicked knot . messing around i have joined 12lb main to 40lb shock and it as tough as old boots:happy:

·
Registered
7,164 Posts

·
'Blast Beach Veteran'
3,034 Posts
The Figure-of-8 loop knot is a lot easier to tie than the Spider Hitch especially in the dark and just as, if not stronger, than the Spider Hitch. Tie a figure-of-8 loop in your running line and attach your shockleader with a No Name Knot

and it looks like this when it's done...

Spider hitch knot's here

http://www.totalseamagazine.com/Videos/video_43/
The first link isn't working Wooky, try this. Could be my Firefox though, having bother with one or two sites.

·
Registered
41 Posts
The Figure-of-8 loop knot the link dos'nt work for me wooky114!
Sorry, the requested page could not be found or is no longer available.

·
Doggystyles
5,037 Posts
allbright for me aswell. good strong, easy to tie knot

·
Registered
899 Posts
I would use the albright knot and with some practice tying the line it becomes very easy to do,
check this link out.
http://videofishingknots.com/albright-knot.html
I use the Uni on all terminal tackle unless its really thick mono when then I use the thumb knot.
Line to line always the albright.I find you can tie it quickly and also on the beach when re-doing your shockleader.
great knot and always been strong enough for me.....

·
Registered
8,540 Posts
The Bimini Twist will give you > 100% knot strength as you have doubled the line over for the knot.

I have never had one of these break at the knot - always the mainline away from the knot.

You'll have fun practicing tying it though, can be complicated to get to grips with.
Learn this one and you will never need another

best knot there is

ETEC

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Many thanks everyone. Clearly I have much to learn particularly as the video sites you recommended showed other knots that I didn't know existed.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
261 Posts
i'll add my vote for the albright knot. plenty of turns on the reel (i have about 10) and 10lb of shocky to every oz of lead and you won't go far wrong:thumbs:

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Another vote for the Bimni Twist, it looks complex but is easyer than you think to tie, plus it's stong as....well at least the main line.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts