World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when tying my 60lb shock leader to 18lb mainline i use the knot shown on this site though i lose the whole lot almost every snag just wondering if anyone uses different knot or could tell me what im doing wrong?

iv been fishing a long time though only started to fish seriously a year or so ago and im pretty new to the concept of using shockleader so im probably doin something wrong when joining the lines
any advice would be appreciated many thanks! :D

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Hi lewis888,

I always use Drennan Greased Weasel as my shockleader.

Tie a Double grinner knot onto the Greased Weasel using the mainline.Then tie an ordinary Granny knot on the Greased Weasel with the mainline going through it and pull tight. Then carefully, useing a lighter, burn the tag end of the Greased weasel as near to the mainline as possible. This seals the Granny so that it will not open. Pull the main line onto the granny as tight as you can, and trim the end. There is no way that the join will come apart.

Some anglers make a mushroom end on the Greased Weasel with a lighter and use this instead of a Granny knot, this method is OK for light work but I wouldn't trust it for anything heavy.

Cheers

Drew

·
Registered
438 Posts
get your self some tapered shockleader inever use eny thing else now you get anice neat knote 60lb down to 16lb i get no probs now

·
Registered
11,184 Posts
make sure you are not using old mainline check for wear if used regularly used then change after about 10 sessions. after a snapoff remove atleast 2m of line as this will remove any overstretched line and make sure you lubricate all nots well.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the replies, lots of things id never thought about like removing the 2m of stretched line after a snap makes sense though.
i'll be fishing this weekend so i'll try everything out - thanks for all the advice! :D

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
I've used the knot on the site for joining braid to shockleader and simply tighten the Mono knot using a pair of pliers. I also add four more turms of the braid into the knot before snugging it up. No probs!

However I don't use a shock leader where I consider that there's a good chance (60/40) of snagging up. I use 35lb Braid right through and rarely need to whack it out so hard that i'd get a crack-off, simply because I fish deep water close to shore. To this end I also remove a yard or so (checking it every time I have to snap-off anything. I carry an 18" piece of 3/4" dowel to actually do the 'snapping-off' by wrapping the line around it otherwise the braid just 'beds in' on the spool. My Berkley XDS does abrade at the rig end if I get into a rocky piece as opposed to tangling in the kelp. Also it tends to deform and go flatter the more pressure you exert on it.

The dangerous part of your rig when it comes to crack offs is the lead link so this gets checked every cast if It's been snagged at all. I use older braid for this part. Yes I sometimes wonder about the saftey of this process and worry about possible danger to others. However the full 50lb shockleader to 17lb braid I reserve for sandy/shingly beaches anyway where people abound. Fishing the Swelleys is a far more solitary pastime (I'm pleased to say!!)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've just tied on 2 shockleaders (onto 2 different reals of course) using the Albright knot suggested by tery f and I'm going to give them a go this weekend. Fingers crossed eh. :cold:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts