World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
The Cod Obsessed one.
15,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe I think about things too much and should worry more about my fishing, who knows?
Any way, what I was thinking, are my shock leaders strong enough? I know the 1oz = 10Lbs rule, but does there reach a point where you are just not going to snap a leader?

On the beach the other night I decided to weigh my lead and typical cod bait. The lead was my standard 7oz and the bait took it to a total of 10 or 11ozs depending on lug or cuttle.

Now im using 80Lbs leader if no one is near me and 100Lbs if others are close. The rig bodies are from a heavy mono marked at 90Lbs but breakes a lot higher. Is this safe or should I try and find a heavy'er leader?

Im asking here as opposed to the tackle section as I feel this really is best answered by you guys and girls.

Cheers, shirl.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
I think the 2 main points Alex are
Tournament casting will put a much higher strain on a leader...
But fishing puts a much higher risk of line damage to your leader...
So probably the best thing is to keep checking the leader when you retreive, and check the spare rig whilst you bait up.
I think you're well over the safety threshhold with 80-100lb leaders, even with a cast of roughly 11/12oz, simply because if you had a 12oz lead at a touny, and you wound up a full pendulum, you'd probably be the one going off in an abulance, so on the beach you're never really gonna hit it that hard...... (bad footing etc)??? :)

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
I personally think 80lb is strong enough for a powerful cast with 200g and a big bait (whole squid + several worms)

As mentioned above, regularly checking for abrasions is as much as you can do

One thing that does concern me is the quality of some 'experienced' anglers knots....

G

·
I'm not snapping 80lb leaders with 200 gram weights and big or multiple baits.

You've nothing to be concerned about.

Besides you can only cast 50 feet. :roll1:

·
The Cod Obsessed one.
15,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
50ft, I wish.

Well. I suppose a good enough caster can do big distances 'level line' so I guess im just worrying without due cause.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Switch it around the other way :g:

Would YOU be happy if the angler to your left/right was using a 200g sinker & a big cod bait on 50lb mono, all tied up with 3 turn blood knots casting a very erratic pendulum style that involved 2 hops & a skip ??

I used to make a good point of chatting to my neighbouring anglers to see what's about and what rigs they are using, many a time I got asked why are you moving when the fish are biting - telling them that their rigs & knots weren't safe for dropping off the back of a boat often caused them to pull a funny face as if to say WTF ?

There is NO price on safety.:thumbs:

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
That's a hard one to answer, trouble is, if you go any higher in Leader B/S then you are going to have, a very large Leader knot! which could be more dangerous trying to get that knot through the rings, than risk a thinner diameter Leader.
I use Gruppo T/F 70mm leader which is suppose to break over 90lb and with braid its quite a smallish knot, casting 7/8oz with bait, not so far had a problem and I do Pendulum but not Tournament Power.
I have used 100lb zippy but the knot is much to large for me, you could of course use maybe a 120/150lb Braid Leader, but then you would have to use a finger cover and gloves to handle it?
What I am using at the mo for a try out to see if the abrasion resistance is as good as T/F is 80lb Zippy, I can *** that out with 6/7oz and bait, not snapped yet.
Dunno what 80lb Memorx is like as a Leader, maybe worth a try.

Guess, the only way is to try different Leaders at a size you find most comfortable and thrash them to death until you find one you are confident in using on the beach with the weight you mentioned
Good luck

lighty

·
The Cod Obsessed one.
15,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Field = blob knot

Beach = Bimini Twist.

to link = grinner

Never had a problem with the knot. I never settle for 'that will do'. :)

G

·
I use a knot that Paul Kerry did an article on in Sea Angler, years ago.

Overhand knot, put the line through, five times around the leader, back through the loop twice. It's small, simple and strong. I don't like the Bimini Twist as its too strong and when I'm snagged, I'd rather snap at the leader knot, than lose half of my line, as it could snap anywhere using the Bimini Twist. I straighten plenty of hooks, even with .35 Tritanium and I have total faith in my knot.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
i dont think the knot in question is the leader to miainline knot as when casting there wont be any strain on it, i think the knot tied to the lead link is the one thst needs to be perfect

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
i dont think the knot in question is the leader to miainline knot as when casting there wont be any strain on it, i think the knot tied to the lead link is the one thst needs to be perfect
I agree with above ... as the shock leader means exactly that and being mono has a certain amount of stretch in it which acts as a shock absorber 80 lbs is adequate . That said i like to make sure i connect the shock leader to a nice rounded thick swivel or gemini clip .

:blink::blink::fish::fishing:

·
Registered
451 Posts
I asked for 80lb leader in a tackle shop recently (which I've uprated to after having some casting lessons) and was pretty much ridiculed by the shop owner for asking.

"I've never needed more than 50lb shockleader. I use 40lb B/S usually" then "Think the bloke who's teaching you has got some funny ideas"

Good job I knew he was talking rubbish eh, but it's no wonder there are people out there who either don't bother using a leader, or don't use a safe breaking strain when there are tackle shop staff giving out advice like that...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.