World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
44,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my last bit from freebie I got with rod. I use a fixed spool real casting leads up to 6oz. What make and strength should I be looking to buy?

G

·
The normal formula is 10lb shock leader for every ounce you are casting. In your example a minimum of 60lb leader!

As to make, everyone has their favourites

·
Accepts cakes as bribes.
12,213 Posts
Tapered leaders are best for fixed spools. The Knot is much smaller and doesn't catch on the rings as much. Like Phil says, everyone has their favourite brand but Greased Weasel or the Suffix lines are about the most popular. I find the Suffix is a bit more supple and less prone to abrasion.

G

·
I have tried and liked the sakuma range, nice and supple.

I am now trying out the Ultima Power flex range in 60 lb. I tried the suffix 80lb, but, I find that line a little to stiff for me. As I have said we all have our favs. I used to use the tapered shock, but as I cast reel down on a 13' 6" rod, I am trusting to luck!

·
Registered
246 Posts
I recently ordered some shockleader called Stealth Grey @ 60lbs bs imported from Japan and distributed by Fishing and Leisure. Very flexible and easy to knot, apparently it is pre stretched, as for abrasive resistance only time will tell. It looks nice as well lol.

·
Registered
11,184 Posts
i only use sufix 60lb have done for years its a lovely supple line slightly lower in diameter than most giving a smaller knot .i use it on multipliers and fixed spools. it wont start to coil up on you after a few casts or a snag as does stiffer leaders.as for casting you cant argue with the majority of tournament casters.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts