World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm almost afraid to ask this question, but as a long standing 50 yard chucker I have never needed to address the issue of a shock leader before. Having recently survived surgery that replaced much of my heart and chest innards, I have invested in a couple of 13 and 14 foot beach casting rods to compensate for not being strong enough to cast great distances. However, these longer rods mean for the first time in my fishing life, I can generate enough force to cause what I believe is called a crack off, (weight and tackle parting company from main line during the cast).

I therefore need to now use a shock leader, but how long should it be???

They way I see it is, to withstand the extra force I can now generate the shock leader must be long enough to have a couple of turns at least on the reel, plus the length of the rod, plus say a foot and then be joined to the terminal gear and weight I am using at the time. I have read that shock leaders should be tied to the main line with an albright knot, but does this knot foul with the rod rings and cause tangles?

Hope you can understand what I'm saying and offer advice.

·
Back from Exile
6,730 Posts
As a general rule go for twice the length of the rod plus half a dozen turns on the reel.

If your leader is too short the rod tip will still be in recovery as the knot passes through, this can lead to the knot catching the tip ring and causing a crack-off and massive birds nest.

Sounds obvious but always tuck the leader knot to the edge of the spool for casting, this will save a lot of pain. And as well as the leader make sure your rigs are made with at least 60lb b/s rig body or the shock leader is a waste of time...

·
Landypirate
1,591 Posts
try some taper shock leaders they come on a spool , usually 5 , and are the correct length , and you dont get a big knot rattling through you rod eyes ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:thumbs:

PS welcome to the forum,,,,,,,,,,:clap2:

·
13,170 Posts
As a general rule go for twice the length of the rod plus half a dozen turns on the reel.

If your leader is too short the rod tip will still be in recovery as the knot passes through, this can lead to the knot catching the tip ring and causing a crack-off and massive birds nest.

Sounds obvious but always tuck the leader knot to the edge of the spool for casting, this will save a lot of pain. And as well as the leader make sure your rigs are made with at least 60lb b/s rig body or the shock leader is a waste of time...
Ohhhhhhhh Yessssssss!

·
Registered
395 Posts
I would suggest a couple of casting lessons this will help you load the power through the rod with very little effort and you will gain loads of information on shock leaders at the same time

1 - 9 of 9 Posts