World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all'
Please excuse my ignorance but how and where are you meant to use shock leaders.
I know they are meant to take the strain of power casting but I can't work out where they are meant to be on the rig especially if you use weak links to the lead?
I used to be content with lobbing out bait short distances but have encountered problems with line breaking now that I am trying further,
Jon :confused:

·
Registered
633 Posts
Hi Musket. For normal shore fishing using lightish lines you would use a shock leader tied directly to your main line (usually 10lb breaking strain for every ounce of lead ie: 5oz lead= 50lb leader). Normally approx four turns on the reel, up to the rod tip and back down to your hand. You would then attach your rig to this, make sure your rig body line is at least the same breaking strain as your leader. If rough ground fishing with heavy lines of 35lb and up, most people would dispense with the leader as on most rock venues, powercasting is not required.

:) KEEP ON ROCKIN' IN THE FREE WORLD :)

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
I fish with 30 pound plus straight through, the shock leader knot often goes, if you visit low water venues on big low tides you will see leader, plus rig , everywhere. Power casting over rough ground is stupid anyway.

Southern Man

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Shockleader is not manufactured purely to satisfy the needs of "power casters".I see plenty of everyday anglers cracking off/losing leads/rigs e.t.c,so ask yourself why :confused: They may just be poor casters,they may be poor knot tyers,they may be using poor quality lines...there`s a whole host of reasons....one being,that they may not use shockleaders.
Your end tackle,and the last few yards of main line,are often put into very hostile terrain whilst fishing,and line damage is bound to occurr.I use Varivas tapered shocky,which goes to 70lb at the business end,thus giving a good degree of protection/safety to my fishing/casting.Even when fishing a clean sandy beach,your line is being dragged through very a abrasive medium,and therefore,should be checked frequently for signs of damage.
You don`t have to power cast to hurt someone or cause damage to property e.t.c......i would always advise using a shockleader :)

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Certain venues such as Samphire Hoe insist that a shochleader must be used at all times. It's printed on the ticket.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts