World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Back from Exile
6,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I phoned a local tackle shop this morning to order some bait for a session on Saturday night and I nearly had a heart attack at the price I was given for the bait. After 20 years away I've just moved back to Durham from Portsmouth, down there I used to get my rag direct from a digger and paid only £8 for a lb of top quality worm. Imagine my shock then to be told that my bait for the weekend is going to cost £2.50 per 2oz packet - that works out at £20 for a lb of worm :cc_surren

I know I had a good deal getting bait direct but even from the tackle shops down there it was between £10 and £12 for a lb of worm. To me £20 a lb seems extortionate, a four hour session with two rods will see me go through that much and more if the fish are on - how on earth can anyone afford to fish regularly at these prices?

Is this the going rate for Rag? I live in Durham and most of my fishing will be between Hartlepool and South Shields, can anyone out there point me in the direction of decent bait suppliers in these areas and how much they charge for worm? Do it by pm if you don't want to post prices on the open forum but I could do with a steer here. One of the things I was most looking forward to moving home was the fishing, but at these prices I don't think I'll be doing as much as I'd like to be honest :sad:

·
Registered
117 Posts
the friarage in hartlepool has quality rag and sells it by the ounce.£1=1oz.this seems to be the average price of rag around the northeast anywhere between £1-£1.25 per ounce.if you were to buy a lb he might give you a bit discount no harm in asking.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
I phoned a local tackle shop this morning to order some bait for a session on Saturday night and I nearly had a heart attack at the price I was given for the bait. After 20 years away I've just moved back to Durham from Portsmouth, down there I used to get my rag direct from a digger and paid only £8 for a lb of top quality worm. Imagine my shock then to be told that my bait for the weekend is going to cost £2.50 per 2oz packet - that works out at £20 for a lb of worm :cc_surren

I know I had a good deal getting bait direct but even from the tackle shops down there it was between £10 and £12 for a lb of worm. To me £20 a lb seems extortionate, a four hour session with two rods will see me go through that much and more if the fish are on - how on earth can anyone afford to fish regularly at these prices?

Is this the going rate for Rag? I live in Durham and most of my fishing will be between Hartlepool and South Shields, can anyone out there point me in the direction of decent bait suppliers in these areas and how much they charge for worm? Do it by pm if you don't want to post prices on the open forum but I could do with a steer here. One of the things I was most looking forward to moving home was the fishing, but at these prices I don't think I'll be doing as much as I'd like to be honest :sad:
Yes they are a lot more expensive than on the south and south east coast. wait till you ask for blacks and yellow tales for winter cod.
£20 per 100 in the Hastings area but the last lot i bought up here were over £40 per hundred.
I put it down to less diggers localy and less black lug availability up here.
A lot of people who do supply worms up here get them from a long way off and get them shipped in.
With the cost of fuel and bait if you don't live in a convenient part of the coast its becoming a rich mans sport.

:fish::fish::fishing:

·
Registered
805 Posts
Billingham Tackle Box, station Road Billingham just under a pound an ounce I think, Bait comes from North Wales I believe.

Blacks and Yellowtails for winter fishing 50p each ouch!!!!!!

Doug

·
Registered
2,092 Posts

good post and absolutley spot on.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
google squids in sea baits and ring Scott. He'll sort you out and he'll mail order it for a fraction of that price. The only issue being delivery charge but if you can find another 1 or 2 locals who want to split an order you'll be sorted.

They do all the usual baits incl crab.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
A tenners worth of rag from John at the Friarage sorts me out for the day. Usually have a bit of squid and mackeral which costs peanuts.

Mick.

·
Registered
778 Posts
£1 per ounce is the going rate and after breaking my back, sweating my nuts off and aching for days after I think thats cheap!:roll1:

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
£1 per ounce is the going rate and after breaking my back, sweating my nuts off and aching for days after I think thats cheap!:roll1:
Got to agree Adam, knowing the back breaking graft in filthy Mud & Rocks that these Diggers work in, i dont mind £16 a pound at all. They deserve it. Also, the shops have to make some margin on it too, as well as taking the waste into account.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Originally Posted by adam.d
£1 per ounce is the going rate and after breaking my back, sweating my nuts off and aching for days after I think thats cheap!

wuss :wiggle:
Maybe need someone to show me how it's done proper Billy:showoff:

·
Back from Exile
6,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for your replies, looks like I may have picked one of the more expensive places to order bait from for this weekend. I've heard good things about the Friarige on here before and will definitely try there when fishing Hartlepool area, but this Saturday I was thinking Shields if the sea is ok and the river if not. It is difficult when you've been away so long, I used to get my bait from Kenny Fox in Seaham but his place is long gone so I've got a lot of learning and trying differnt places to come over the next few months.

Maybe some adjustment in how I fish might also be needed - I'm used to fishing two rods / two hook rigs / usually fairly big baits maybe I'll switch over to fishing the second rod with fish baits or mussel or try targetting different species rather than using two rods to cover two different distances.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Got to agree Adam, knowing the back breaking graft in filthy Mud & Rocks that these Diggers work in, i dont mind £16 a pound at all. They deserve it. Also, the shops have to make some margin on it too, as well as taking the waste into account.
not going to say who told me but this was said in a shop we dont make money out of bait . ?????

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Sounds expensive unless you ever dug your own. £20 for a couple of hours back breaking work minus cost of petrol and the tackle shops cut the guys that digging it is probably making a Tenner.

Maybe one of the reasons people get so peed off about the lack of fish in the seas, the costs and the time required to even stand a chance of catching...

Good luck anyway ..

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
When i,m winter fishing i use two rods with pulley rigs. One right out and one close in. Rag and squid baits lashed on. I,ve done ok with these and have caught some half decent fish. If balcks are available i,ll sometimes push the boat out and treat myself. to a few. Not cheap but good bait in the right conditions. Usually never spend more than £15 for a days bait.

Mick.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts