World Sea Fishing Forums banner

Shocking Daiwa prices

Tags
rip off
3K views 35 replies 19 participants last post by  pablo12 
#1 ¡
I just had a heart stopping quote from Daiwa to fix a mag sealed caldia reel that seized after a dunking on a sesh ladt month.

They seem to be charging me ÂŁ100 for 5 parts on a discontinued reel.

Has anyone had a good/bad experience with Daiwa?

Does anyone have any links with the company?

I just wondered if this arbitrary over pricing is standard for reel servicing really...it certainly aint worth paying 80% of the cost of a replacement reel for 5 parts

#2 ¡
Hi mate,

You ok for me to copy this into the reel servicing forum?

Reactions: DaiHard
#3 ¡
I had one mag sealed reel which I sold on. I wouldn't even consider a mag sealed Daiwa, it's just an extra complication I could do without. I don't feel it adds anything. Besides my Shimanos last an average of 7 years for ÂŁ150 reel. That's good enough for me.

#6 ¡
Check Alan Hawks website for any diy tips for servicing them Ev.
You have nothing to lose by trying to service it yourself.
I’ve heard mag sealed Diawas can be diy serviced despite what Diawa say to the contrary
and apparently it’s not too difficult.
Not surprised Diawa say it can’t be done at home when they are charging £100/ service.
Total rip- off!!

I wouldn’t pay Diawa another penny mate.
I’ve heard that their aftersales care is :poop::poop::poop:

#7 ¡
I've got some mag sealed Caldias & love them, superb reels & haven't needed opening up in 3 or 4 years.
BUT........if & when they do need attention, I'd be happy to open them up & do the work myself, not bother about replacing any of the mag sealing, and they'd just become normal non mag sealed reels, not a problem for me.

#8 ¡
I've got no problem taking it apart, but its the price of the parts that makes it untenable...

I asked for a price for parts and basically theyre saying the whole guts need changing, at a cost of ÂŁ109.

They reckon they decide the cost based on a RRP of ÂŁ250 (despite it being a discontinued 2016 reel)!

#11 ¡
Have you had a look inside already? Can't think a bit of water can damage most parts that badly, bearings will die but gears and shafts can usually be cleaned up unless you have kept using the reel whilst it got tighter. Plenty of bearing suppliers around, probably replace them all for ÂŁ20. The mag fluid is another matter, Daiwa won't sell it and the cheapest copy on Ebay is ÂŁ40 for a few ml.

#14 ¡
From some small experience with a few of the companies..... If a reel is non UK specification then the cost on parts does jump up quite a bit.
Can't remember if the caldia was jap import sold?
Surprisingly as well, quite often the smaller reels cost more to fix than larger reels.

#15 ¡
Only used it a bit. Stopped fishing pretty much straight away, and it was more stiff than grindy if that makes sense
I would get it back from Daiwa then try your luck yourself, the worst case scenario is it's ruined and you have ÂŁ100 to spend on a Shimano but more likely a few new bearings and it will be fine. Good luck.

#17 ¡
mag sealed are allways dear
some have to go back to japan for repairs

#19 ¡
I had one mag sealed reel which I sold on. I wouldn't even consider a mag sealed Daiwa, it's just an extra complication I could do without. I don't feel it adds anything. Besides my Shimanos last an average of 7 years for ÂŁ150 reel. That's good enough for me.

7 years,, I'm lucky to get 18 months,, but mine do get pretty wet, and dunked,, and I don't do any maintenance...

Maybe but warm water, after a big dunking.....

My reels, are about 120, to 150 shimano s,,

But I'm happy with season half, or two seasons.....

I like new reel, every couple seasons,,

I've got mates with 500 quid reels,, mag sealed this,, sw proof that,, the still have problems.....

No I wouldn't pay 100 quid to repair a reel, I would just add 50, and get a new one....

#34 ¡
7 years,, I'm lucky to get 18 months,, but mine do get pretty wet, and dunked,, and I don't do any maintenance...

Maybe but warm water, after a big dunking.....

My reels, are about 120, to 150 shimano s,,

But I'm happy with season half, or two seasons.....

I like new reel, every couple seasons,,

I've got mates with 500 quid reels,, mag sealed this,, sw proof that,, the still have problems.....

No I wouldn't pay 100 quid to repair a reel, I would just add 50, and get a new one....
u got mates with ÂŁ1000 stellas lols

#20 ¡
I've got some mag sealed Caldias & love them, superb reels & haven't needed opening up in 3 or 4 years.
BUT........if & when they do need attention, I'd be happy to open them up & do the work myself, not bother about replacing any of the mag sealing, and they'd just become normal non mag sealed reels, not a problem for me.
Well I hope I'm wrong and it's a one off, but the way this reel died all if a sudden was a shocker tbh.

I even think that the mag-seal fluid itself might have something to do with it.

I have actually bought some intending to fix it myself, and it says you might struggle to clean it off anything it touches, especially if made of metal

#23 ¡
Yes you're right.

Its just a question of terminology.

I have never sent a reel for service before which is why I thought this might be useful to others.

The standard service charge is ÂŁ25 plus ÂŁ7 p+p, and parts.

It's the parts cost which are too high imo

#24 ¡
If you really must service it, do it yourself. Google plat.jp, you can get pretty much any shim or daiwa part from there. Google the schematics of your reel, each part will have a number.
Get a set of tiny screwdrivers including some star nut heads and some silicone spray and you’re good to go.

#26 ¡
#27 ¡
When I looked into last year the oil weight and strength of magnetic attraction is similar to the Daiwa oil in the one I mentioned, don't know about the other oil. The whole idea of mag oil and limited mechanical seals put me off buying Daiwa and I bought another Shimano instead.
Im coming round to the same idea tbh.

Although i do still rate their low end gear, and the caldia was solid until this

#28 ¡

I had the same problem when the anti reverse failed on my Diawa luvias.

after repairing it I bought some eBay ferrofluid for the seal and thought that was job done. I was then told that after a few days it would have probably dried up and evaporated, took the rotor back off and it had.

The trick is to mix the ferrofluid 50:50 with another oil (I Used 2stroke outboard oil I had handy) in a small bottle and mix well with a magnet. Leave it for a couple of days then use a pipette to add a drop for the seal.

This has worked well and doesn’t dry up. Probably will need checking and replacing a bit more often but for ten quid cost of making 20ml of the fluid and the fact it only needs a drop it doesn’t matter, only a 10min job to replace when you are familiar with the reel.

#29 ¡
Since I had a bit of a moan about this I wanted to be forthright about the resolution.

Daiwa UK were very polite and responsive in all dealings with them, and when I asked for them to return the reel unrepaired they did so without charging for any work done, or for return postage, and even threw in some free parts i had on order for another reel I've been attempting to repair (emcast 5000a).

Obvs I wont think badly of the company at all for this, and only have good reports of their customer service in Wishaw.

Now I have only to find a company i can buy bearings from instead, and have a go at it myself as listed above.

#30 ¡
Daiwa UK are pretty good with customer service but as you say parts prices are pretty shocking. Even simple reels like SL30SH's are not economical to repair buying parts direct from Daiwa if the common main shaft failure occurs and they need the bearings changed. When it comes to cleaning the mag seal fluid off it's maybe worth running the reel over a de-magnitiser. Any half decent toolmaker you can find should have one in their work shop.

Would marine grease do the job over the mag seal fluid ,just packing the vulnerable areas with it seems to work on a lot of other reels.
SD

#31 ¡
Reading all this,.
And i cant help but think that just maybe it is all overboard ..
look at old reals ,pewter, bronze bushes and some heavy duty crease.
fished for years..they did..
my shimano C14 is crunchy ,one bearing has had it i opened it plonked some vaseliene in it and fished whole of last season like that..
it now neads another clean up,.
The biomaster on the other hand simply gets a rinse off,..5year now
and maybe it is ,as i opened it on day one and stuffed it full of grease..
the stuff is naturally water repellent..just saying.

#32 ¡
I got no doubt what you're saying about your reels is sound Hennie, and I have had a similar approach to reels myself to this point.

Its an expensive reel sold on salt water resistant gimmick which after 2/3 seasons of very light use seized up completely solidly after a dunk.

The only thing overboard is the reel

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.