World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had a heart stopping quote from Daiwa to fix a mag sealed caldia reel that seized after a dunking on a sesh ladt month.

They seem to be charging me £100 for 5 parts on a discontinued reel.

Has anyone had a good/bad experience with Daiwa?

Does anyone have any links with the company?

I just wondered if this arbitrary over pricing is standard for reel servicing really...it certainly aint worth paying 80% of the cost of a replacement reel for 5 parts

·
Registered
7,912 Posts
I just had a heart stopping quote from Daiwa to fix a mag sealed caldia reel that seized after a dunking on a sesh ladt month.

I just wondered if this arbitrary over pricing is standard for reel servicing really...it certainly aint worth paying 80% of the cost of a replacement reel for 5 parts
Their parts are pricey I know!

What puzzles me about the post is why are they charging you? You pay a fortune for a "mag sealed" reel so how come when their mag seal fails you have to pay ... surely the whole point of the mag seal is to stop the damn things seizing? Surely they should be sorting it on warranty if the mag seal failed?

How old is it?

·
Registered
134 Posts
As I've stated on here before I've had nothing but good service from Daiwa Sports at Wishaw over the decades. Is that who you are dealing with? I've heard that they have 'rationalised' spare parts but you'd hope that they would give/sell them to someone like Blakdog/QM/KP to keep us consumers going. Or is the cunning plan to bin them and hope we buy new products? I'd hope not but that's probably what the grey shoes would advise:mad2:

·
Registered
57 Posts
I assume that as it is a discontinued model then it is out of warranty.
What are the required parts ? They may be the ''expensive'' parts.
What is the expected life span for a reel ?
I am no way affiliated with Daiwa but do use their products and currently like the BG series.
I am also not an expert at repairing reels.
£100 is not a lot of money. Plenty of people spend more than that on fags and booze every week.
Hobbies cost.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Their parts are pricey I know!

What puzzles me about the post is why are they charging you? You pay a fortune for a "mag sealed" reel so how come when their mag seal fails you have to pay ... surely the whole point of the mag seal is to stop the damn things seizing? Surely they should be sorting it on warranty if the mag seal failed?

How old is it?
Ive been fishing for 3 seasons

·
Registered
7,912 Posts
I assume that as it is a discontinued model then it is out of warranty.
Wrong assumption ... that has nothing to do with it. If the warranty is x period from point of sale then it matters not if the manufacturer discontinues that model during the period - the terms of sale would have to specifically exclude it from the warranty in the box or any general warranty that the manufacturer provides. Consumers are also now able to legally enforce a warranty against a manufacturer in the courts.

Ive been fishing for 3 seasons
By seasons you mean years? If so probably outside of their warranty period, you'd have to read the papers that came with the box. You'd need to remember as well that they expect you to have the things serviced. If it had been in for a service with Daiwa within the recommended service period then you might be able to argue with them that they were liable as the service wasn't of the correct standard. Just out of interest what were the 5 parts and was labour included? As i said their parts are expensive but surely a seize would only involve bearings unless you'd left the thing full of salt water and the corrosion had really got a hold - much depends on the state of it inside.

To be fair to Daiwa if you've left it 3 years without any service then I'm not surprised that the mag seal failed. Everything I hear about them says they need regular servicing to maintain the integrity of the seal ... and even then they get a very mixed write up on their effectiveness (and what they are actually meant to do). I just had a quick read up and it also looks like many retailers and service centres (their Australian service centre for one) now seem to have lowered their claims about the mag seal ... Daiwa were most definitely trying to infer that they sealed the reel against water when they first came out and many UK retailers are still carrying claims like "The whole reel is Mag Sealed. This makes it an ideal saltwater reel, as it stops corrosive saltwater from entering the body of the reel and damaging the internal mechanisms.".

If it were me I would moan at them (politely) and see if that gets you some discount ... all these manufacturers are very good at making wonderful claims when they are trying to sell their kit, I think there is very few that manage to live up to those claims in the long term. Personally I happen to think £100 is a lot of money ... it matters not what the cost of booze and fags are really and its very, very rare for me to give a customer a parts bill anything like that for a single reel .... I'd expect some of the parts to be quite major.

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
£100 ,I got my motor mot cheaper than that

·
Registered
19,588 Posts

:( I recently sent off for some Daiwa parts only to be told that the reel is obsolete so no spares are available yet the reel is still available in some counties. Do they bin the spares when the reel is no longer on sale? ;)

·
Registered
7,912 Posts
£100 ,I got my motor mot cheaper than that
Yes because the price is fixed by the govt ... and it only takes about 15 minutes. If you need anything done on your car to get it through the MOT it would have hurt.

Do they bin the spares when the reel is no longer on sale? ;)
I was told that spares are binned 5 years after a model has ceased production.

Without knowing exactly what the £100 was for nobody can really pass judgement to any great degree .... I think their spares are pricey but if parts are made in Japan they will be because of the decent wage rates etc demanded in Japan and if that £100 included labour then it suddenly won't be anything like as unreasonable as it seems.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
I've just done a Saltiga 8000 Dogfight that had filled up with salt water. Cost £35 for the shaft with the cam and bearings. And another £25 for the two gear wheels to drive it. Not bad really and very quick delivery.

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Ordered a couple of line guards for a Wincast 4500 a couple of days ago and was amazed when they turned up this morning - total cost £5.76 including £3 pounds postage. I was expecting a bill in double figures at least.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Had a Fuego that is mag sealed and the line roller seized up
just as warranty was running out
returned to shop where I brought it
they returned it to Daiwa
Daiwa sent brand new reel back
cant moan about service like that:thumbsup:

·
Registered
19,588 Posts
I've just done a Saltiga 8000 Dogfight that had filled up with salt water. Cost £35 for the shaft with the cam and bearings. And another £25 for the two gear wheels to drive it. Not bad really and very quick delivery.
:( YUK! Glad they sorted it as it looked a mess. :)

·
Registered
19,588 Posts
Had a Fuego that is mag sealed and the line roller seized up
just as warranty was running out
returned to shop where I brought it
they returned it to Daiwa
Daiwa sent brand new reel back
cant moan about service like that:thumbsup:
:) That's how service should be, not excuses like, you've abused it etc. ;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts