World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a kind of general rule ho much shockleader should you generally put on your reel? thanks stevie.

·
Banned
3,248 Posts
for fishing with a multiplier 10-15 turns around the spool and the drop down to my top hand, give enough should you end up handlining in a good un (i wish)

·
Registered
865 Posts
am with wooky 3 or 4 turns left on spool before casting, 10lbs for every oz of lead

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks guys,much appreciated..

·
Registered
64 Posts
As soles does I put more on if fishing off the pier or over heavy weedy bits then if your rig gets stuck you only lose a hook or two, not the whole lot.

Sandalar

·
Banned
3,248 Posts
problem with only 3 or 4 turns on a multi is if the spool slips under your thumb when you are giving it the heave ho, you are straight onto the mainline and that is likely to snap with the sudden pressure.

·
Halfway To the Horizon
1,513 Posts
For fishing - use 10-12 turns on reel plus a rod length.
For casting - use minimum of 8 turns on reel when the lead is in position for casting.
PS

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
There is a disadvantage in having a topshot that is too long (e.g. 2x rod length plus 50 turns on the spool).

If the line diameter changes suddenly when the cast is well under way (more than 15/20 yards of lead travel and before about 40 or 50 yards out) the knot can wrap aound rod rings or vibrate (or something like that) as it travels through them and cause either a birds nest or a snap off with a ring damaged (bent).

This happens a lot less with a tapered join between leader and main line (but manufactured leaders are usually 13m or less )

You'll probably only be using a leader this long off a pier, cliff or over ground that is extremely snaggy close in; if you have to use light main line and heavy shockleader you can go 80lb to 50lb to 25lb to 15lb but won't bother unless you have to cast hard

1 - 11 of 11 Posts