World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I started fitting my reel with a shockleader but looking at it I'm worried about either getting a birds nest or just having the line catch the knot when I cast. Sorry if its been covered a bunch of times before but is there a specific way of putting on a leader? chheers

·
13,170 Posts
Wind onto the reel so that the knot is at the edge of the spool. Keepthe line under tension when you are winding it on. If the shockleader is already "spilling off" the spool; perhaps you have a little too much main line on there.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the advice, it is loaded pretty much to the brim with the main line so I'll take some off, its a cheap pretty big okuma reel that I bought a few years ago, not sure if it has a line lay or not

·
Registered
845 Posts
is it a multiplier or a fixed spool reel. If it's a fixed reel a tapered leader may be better. I always leave a good couple of mill showing of spool lip. Once caste a few times the line will settle on the spool. I do this by attaching a plain heavy(8oz) weigh and casting a few times

·
Registered
845 Posts
Oh yeah soz its a fixed spool, and the knot I'm using would be this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xZDlrhMA-8
One of the knots i use. As your reel is a fixed spool i would recommend a tapered leader line because a normal leader may catch the bail arm when casting. Main line 12 - 15lb for clean ground 18- 20lb for mixed ground. Tapered leader 60 - 80lb. For every oz of weight times by 10. If you use a 6oz weight you will need a minimum of 60lb breaking strain leader line. Length wise i put my rod and reel together run the leader line though the eyes then back down to the bottom of the rod with 5 turns on the spool. My rod is 14ft so i use about 26-28ft of line plus the 5 turns. Some people use more,some less.
These are just the very basics to get you started.

G

·
I use 80lb leader whatever lead im using 4vturns on spool is plenty and get urself a thumby fiited stops line slip when casting

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.