World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
G

·
Do a forum search, mate. Right hand side of thin blue strip up above these posts. You should find plenty of discussion about shockleaders, lengths, brands and suitable knots. Weight as posted by JAKA....

·
Registered
27 Posts
for shockleader 10lb for every ounce is correct. but 150g is 5 1/4 oz, 175 g is 6 1/4oz, 200g is 7 1/4 oz. so for 150g it is better to use 60 lb, for 175g 70lb, and 200g 80lb. some people even use 80 lb for all three of those lead sizes.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Shockleader is expensive - very expensive. £3.50 for 60/70 yards, although admittedly good stuff.

I use boat line - 70lb for shockleader and making rigs, however bear in mind if you make flapper rigs, if you tie a knot in the line, it halves the strength of it. You can get a roll of 700 yard 70lb boat line for £5.

·
Turbot Magnet
1,858 Posts
Strawberry's are on special offer at Tesco this week.He might not know that either:crazy:
well done Jaka,your knowledge is second to none. :thumbdown :thumbdown
regards
tony

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Aye, well, I'd go on the safe side and use 70lb shockleader to allow the casting of 4 strawberries and 5oz with pendulum.

Which by a roundabout route is probably good advice for the original poster (assuming they've not given the thread up by now).

·
Registered
710 Posts
this is important stuff , if you power cast
its totalaly for safety NO other reason , ive found the nicest stuff to use for knots , strength and neatness on your reel is Drennan Greased Weasel , it comes in at 40-50-60 lb on 40 mtr spools , its very soft mono very nice for knot tieing , i use the 40lb
on my beach reels NEVER had a crack off , i dont pendulm cast , go stronger if you do , Dont use heavy boat mono its to stiff for knots and will take your finger off if you catch the knot when power casting!!
this line is not expensive , you only need the length of your rod and several turns round your reel , one spool lasts ages , TRY one

spiky:bounce:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.