World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I have been shore fishing the Moray Firth for about a year and I'm new to sea fishing. I have had some success in Nairn, Hopeman, burghead and Lossiemouth. However I have only met one fellow angler in that time.

Is there anyone on here who fishes around here and dose anyone want to swap ideas. I'm keen to learn and have a few decent marks I would be willing to share. And would love to catch more etc

Tight lines all

Sparky

·
Registered
90 Posts
I occasionally fish with LRF gear between Buckie and Banff, catching (when not blanking) small pollack and coal fish. Some mackerel about in the warmer months although I did better in 2015 than 2016 for those.

Like you, I rarely see another angler, occasionally at Cullen, Buckie or Portknockie harbours.
I don't get out very often though as I'm away with work quite a lot.

All the best.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I used to holiday a lot up in Lossiemouth, I tried a few spots along the coast from the shore. By in large it was disappointing, there were areas that looked promising but never really delivered. I guess you really need local knowledge.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Hello everyone,

I have been shore fishing the Moray Firth for about a year and I'm new to sea fishing. I have had some success in Nairn, Hopeman, burghead and Lossiemouth. However I have only met one fellow angler in that time.

Is there anyone on here who fishes around here and dose anyone want to swap ideas. I'm keen to learn and have a few decent marks I would be willing to share. And would love to catch more etc

Tight lines all

Sparky
Ive pm'd you.... i think.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I'm trying to find marks just to the East of you - say Cullen to Gardenstown. As you point out, you never see anyone else fishing. Lots of snags up here, so don't bother with your 20lb mainline and 50lb leader - you'll lose the lot. Spool on a 60-80lb braid mainline, no leader and use weak hook snoods and rotten bottoms, unless you like donating tackle and bait to the sea bed.

There must be fish about - weed, rocks, mussels, limpets, worm casts, sea birds - they're all there. I've caught a few coalfish and dabs but nothing special.

Even the man in the tackle shop told me to wait till the sea warmed up a bit - surely that doesn't apply to winter species like cod, whiting, dabs etc?!

Anyway, would love to hear of a few decent spots.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Hello everyone,

Tight lines trips are few and far between
Hello everyone,

Tight lines all

Sparky
Struggling to get out much atm but be up for a sesh sometime if you fancy it.

Based in kinloss.
Steve

·
Registered
88 Posts
I'm trying to find marks just to the East of you - say Cullen to Gardenstown. As you point out, you never see anyone else fishing. Lots of snags up here, so don't bother with your 20lb mainline and 50lb leader - you'll lose the lot. Spool on a 60-80lb braid mainline, no leader and use weak hook snoods and rotten bottoms, unless you like donating tackle and bait to the sea bed.

There must be fish about - weed, rocks, mussels, limpets, worm casts, sea birds - they're all there. I've caught a few coalfish and dabs but nothing special.

Even the man in the tackle shop told me to wait till the sea warmed up a bit - surely that doesn't apply to winter species like cod, whiting, dabs etc?!

Anyway, would love to hear of a few decent spots.
You won't like this, but don't waste your time. I run a boat from Portsoy. We used to move to Findochty for the winter (safe harbour) ,but after many efforts with very little success, now take the boat out of the water for winter. There is nothing worth catching inshore.
For shore fishing, Aberdeen to Arbroath is good for cod, the more colour in the water the better.
Moray Firth picks up April onwards.
t.c.

·
Registered
110 Posts
You won't like this, but don't waste your time. I run a boat from Portsoy. We used to move to Findochty for the winter (safe harbour) ,but after many efforts with very little success, now take the boat out of the water for winter. There is nothing worth catching inshore.
For shore fishing, Aberdeen to Arbroath is good for cod, the more colour in the water the better.
t.c.
I have a horrible feeling you're right - I have fished the old swimming pool at Portsoy many many times and got one tiny dab for my trouble. In the summer, though, there are mackerel to be had.

However, @Pwablo from this forum has given me some excellent advice on fishing Gardenstown, which I haven't had time to fully put into practice but I have had some decent numbers of (small) coalies there.

I'm not too fussy abut species, more the sport. I've even been known to take a dogfish home to eat...

·
Registered
74 Posts
When I was at school in the 70s at the old swimming pool you used to catch large dabs,plaice,coalies,scad,mackerel,occasional cod in the summertime last time i was there i got nothing at all

·
Registered
110 Posts
When I was at school in the 70s at the old swimming pool you used to catch large dabs,plaice,coalies,scad,mackerel,occasional cod in the summertime last time i was there i got nothing at all
Are Cullen or Sandend beaches any good now?

Or, failing that, where does the nearest decent charter boat go from? I'm in the Huntly area.
(Sorry, Sparky, I've hijacked your thread a bit. I'll stop soon.)

·
Registered
88 Posts
Are Cullen or Sandend beaches any good now?

Or, failing that, where does the nearest decent charter boat go from? I'm in the Huntly area.
(Sorry, Sparky, I've hijacked your thread a bit. I'll stop soon.)
It was perhaps a bit strong to say you are wasting your time. If you must have a cast,and are not expecting too much,Spey bay is worth a cast.
You will catch dabs, flounders and the odd bonus sea trout. Bluey is ok for bait. You really need a permit (£10 from Des) You would probably get away
with it if you were bait fishing and said you were fishing for flatties if asked. If you like spinning, get a permit and go for sea trout.
When it warms up a bit, you can get decent pollack (up to 8lb) from the rocks around Findlater Castle.
We catch good sized wrasse ( 3-4lb ) boat fishing off rock marks. Never done it,but I think you could do quite well if you targeted them from the rocks in gulleys. I seem to remember the Scottish shore record being caught down towards Rosehearty.
I can't think of anything you could call a 'proper ' charter boat in the Moray Firth. There are boats who do bitty trips for dabblers.
A guy who comes on our shoot runs a boat out of Fraserborough. I haven't got the details but if I can get them, I'll post them.
Hope that helps a bit.
t.c.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Plenty good fishing in the Moray Firth, you just got to be realistic as to what to expect.

If you want double figure Cod then yes you are in the wrong place but I have had sessions with 40 plus fish targeting flatties etc.

This time of year is hard everywhere, another month and it gets better.

Also you have to put the legwork in and explore different bits and try different tactics etc.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
t.c.
Cheers for the heads up was talking to a few old boys who don't do it now but they have assured me it's a good place but the timing is everything. I will keep chugging along tho if the Dolphins and seals are healthy there has to be fish lol.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Going for a trip on the 25th I will keep all you guys posted as to how it goes.

I have had good fishing in the firth so I am determined to keep going.

I agree with highlandshorecaster you just have to put in the legwork. I know Nairn can be really productive for flatties.

But we will see will send a catch report Sunday next week.

Tight lines all

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
tell ya what I live 5 miles from moray coast am filling diesel tank getting a load of frozen bait and heading west coast....tight lines cheers

·
Registered
434 Posts
t.c.
Sorry Tony but I disagree with your comments regarding taking your boat out for the winter as there's nothing inshore This month and April have traditionally always been poor but late summer to February certainly worth leaving your boat in for How long have you been fishing the area and do you know the marks. PM if you don't wish too stick marks public. Cheers Mark

·
Registered
434 Posts
Well before the rapid seal explosion then couple that with the lack of animal shellfish fish and human waste entering the sea locally now and you have your answer for the fishing locally from the shore being so poor.

·
Registered
88 Posts
DSCN1037.JPG
Sorry Tony but I disagree with your comments regarding taking your boat out for the winter as there's nothing inshore This month and April have traditionally always been poor but late summer to February certainly worth leaving your boat in for How long have you been fishing the area and do you know the marks. PM if you don't wish too stick marks public. Cheers Mark
Mark,
I have worked a boat out of Portsoy for fifteen years. Can't say I know all possible marks, but I know a few. No problem sharing marks.
Working out of Findochty from October on, I used to work on the marks I've attached, (given to me by a commercial skipper)
Modest success with codling and ling up to five pounds or so. Hirst and Bailings were probably most successful, but when you are looking at 10miles off,
and you are not very fast,weather becomes a big deal.
Up to a couple of miles off,we were always scratching.
t.c.
DSCN1034.JPG
DSCN1034.JPG

·
Registered
434 Posts
View attachment 753985

Mark,
I have worked a boat out of Portsoy for fifteen years. Can't say I know all possible marks, but I know a few. No problem sharing marks.
Working out of Findochty from October on, I used to work on the marks I've attached, (given to me by a commercial skipper)
Modest success with codling and ling up to five pounds or so. Hirst and Bailings were probably most successful, but when you are looking at 10miles off,
and you are not very fast,weather becomes a big deal.
Up to a couple of miles off,we were always scratching.
t.c. View attachment 753961 View attachment 753961
I'll send you some readings once in the house. Nothing wrong with those marks you have btw

·
Registered
556 Posts
t.c.
I have to disagree , there are fish there and fished in the right conditions u will get good bags , I fished that coast for 6/7 years finding it hard at first but keep at it and u will find fish , the beaches are great fishing and there's loads of harbour marks and plenty rock marks that will produce

1 - 20 of 28 Posts