World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
a good venue no need for wire ;;circular hooks +very fresh mackerel.if they are there you should at least get a take or two.....:bb::bb::bb:

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Pully rig, penneled 8/0 hooks with 150lb wire snood.... baits vary from mackerel fillet, snake launce, garfish etc
hold on tight =]

Ross

·
Registered
8 Posts
The best rig is a rotten-bottom pulley pennel with 8/0 hooks on a 100lb wire trace. The best bait is either a fresh mackerel or a flounder fillet.

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
Got to disagree about pulley rigs for tope. They may help landing them but you have to hook them first and pulleys are always a weak link where trace runs through the swivel.

Recently fished the IOM beaches and had good numbers on a standard up and over fixed cod rig 80lb snoods about 4-5ft long with 8 inches of 80lb wire and 6/0 sakumas pennelled. Didnt miss a run whilst others around using pulleys were getting runs and lots of dropped bites.

Also think wire is a must, lost 3 hooked fish one evening when they must have turned and ran through the shockleader open mouthed, frustrating when you have played a fish for a while and your left with half a bitten through shocker!!

Bait wise fresh mackerel, belly fillet oozing as much blood as possible about 3-4 inches long the size of half a mars bar is ample, especially if you need some distance, or if you can get your hands on some large launce then belly section is ideal.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Got to disagree about pulley rigs for tope. They may help landing them but you have to hook them first and pulleys are always a weak link where trace runs through the swivel.

Recently fished the IOM beaches and had good numbers on a standard up and over fixed cod rig 80lb snoods about 4-5ft long with 8 inches of 80lb wire and 6/0 sakumas pennelled. Didnt miss a run whilst others around using pulleys were getting runs and lots of dropped bites.

Also think wire is a must, lost 3 hooked fish one evening when they must have turned and ran through the shockleader open mouthed, frustrating when you have played a fish for a while and your left with half a bitten through shocker!!

Bait wise fresh mackerel, belly fillet oozing as much blood as possible about 3-4 inches long the size of half a mars bar is ample, especially if you need some distance, or if you can get your hands on some large launce then belly section is ideal.
Dont agree with the pennel rigs for tope, that extra hook can be a real nuisance to get out and shred the fish during the fight. As you know big tope pretty much do what they want during the fight. most of the fish are not delicate feeders, when they have the bait in their mouth they crush it and run.
I also prefer to use a longer wire because eight inches of wire would not go round a topes head so in a single roll the fish could have mono in its mouth, I know you could say two rolls would take up the eighteen inches but you have to stop somewhere and I feel fairly confident with that.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Has anyone tried other flatfish fillets, plaice dabs etc, with any success??
With regards to the circle hooks, i like to use them but find it a little awkward to mount the baits for casting, any advice!! :fish:

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Has anyone tried other flatfish fillets, plaice dabs etc, with any success??
With regards to the circle hooks, i like to use them but find it a little awkward to mount the baits for casting, any advice!! :fish:
dab works... :whistling :whistling :whistling

1 - 13 of 13 Posts